First Swarm Sweep Stake!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Inspecting already?

James
I’m very tempted to inspect one of mine - very very busy and yesterday saw drones (albeit, only three) on the landing board.
Next warm day I’ll take off the board and have a look at the state of play as they’ve been greedy for fondant and there might be a space issue if it hasn’t been consumed. However, the number of bees out getting water gives me some reassurance that they’re consuming it.
(Note to self: Must hone my hefting skills!)

Inspecting already?

James
I was taking the nadired super of that colony and realised how big it was. It was 11 frames of bees and brood on 8 frames. They were also bringing in quite reasonable quantities of nectar! (what from I have no idea.)
I decided to add a QX and put the super above.
I checked the others in that apiary and found one other in a similar state and supered that one as well.

1st of June and that would still be to early for up here! I am on the mainland but not the UK mainland ;)
Hi there - liked the article in BeeCraft about the bees and beekeepers in Orkney. Trials and tribulations!! I will be in Orkney at the beginning of June on my annual fishing trip. We stay at the Barony at Birsay - best breakfast of any B&B.

I checked on the hives yesterday and there are new residents in my bait hive.

No idea how long they've been there, because I wasn't expecting anything due to poor weather and haven't checked for 2 weeks. They have somehow filled four pre-drawn combs with capped honey and flooded the brood nest with nectar. I've split the four frames up between my existing hives, which were low on stores, and have given the swarm two more empty drawn frames and another undrawn. The bees are much darker than my Buckfasts, and don't seem to be fazed by the cool rainy weather we're having. I can't super the bait hive, so I'll have to knock something together quickly. Nice calm bees, but they drip off the frames like liquid when I pick them up. Managing them may be a challenge in summer....

I'll try and post photos next time, but it's hard juggling 12x14s and a phone at the same time.

After seeing drones flying I thought I'd have a quick peek in one of my large double brood hives, I'm glad I did, it was absolutely rammed and had several charged queen cups.

Are you sure they weren't there all winter and you just forgot? :D

James

Nah, I wouldn't leave empty frames out all winter, it'd attract moths or beetles or mice. The bait hive went up after the last snow melted and I saw odd behaviour in one of my hives. I thought 🤔 maybe I need a new queen just in case. I was surprised to see almost immediate interest. I thought these things took time.

Nah, I wouldn't leave empty frames out all winter, it'd attract moths or beetles or mice. The bait hive went up after the last snow melted and I saw odd behaviour in one of my hives. I thought 🤔 maybe I need a new queen just in case. I was surprised to see almost immediate interest. I thought these things took time.

I wasn't really being serious :) I'm amazed a swarm has occurred so soon though. Makes me wonder what chance the virgin queen(s) have of mating successfully.

James

I wasn't really being serious :) I'm amazed a swarm has occurred so soon though. Makes me wonder what chance the virgin queen(s) have of mating successfully.

James
I agree but my fingers are crossed as the bees I took out of the roof last saturday are queenless (I had a quick peek yetserday when it was mild.) and they have built 3 queen cells. So....... I hope the drone brood I found last week get maturing so they can mate with one of those queens!

James
maybe it was a starvation swarm or they absconded for some reason

Back