First Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindylou

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi everyone,

I am just about to embark on a beginners beekeeping course and am looking to buy my first hive.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to where is the best place to buy and price etc.

Many thanks

Linn

Hello and welcome. You may find some decent offers at your local association (assuming you are joining one and doing the course etc) discounted items and such.

You could wait and ask your tutor. You probably won't need one til next spring anyway.

If I were you Lindy I would look at TESCO on line.

XXXX

th***nes do a budget hive that you build yourself, but as someone else said the sale is due to start soon so might be worth waiting until then. What sort of hive are you looking for? I have experience of Hivemakers (member on here) hives and they are good quality national hives, he also has a whole font of knowledge!! cost a little more but you dont have to build them yourself.

Hi everyone,
I am just about to embark on a beginners beekeeping course and am looking to buy my first hive.
Has anyone got any suggestions as to where is the best place to buy and price etc.
Many thanks
Linn

where are you taking the course? @ Easton College?, or with John @ applebee?

Home Delivery

XXXX

Can you please provide a link for buying a hive from Tesco?

Was not aware of being able to buy hive equipment from Tesco. BUT then again I am sure I have missed the point - (again!!).

I have brought sugar and washing soda supplies from them though!!!

Avoid Tescos for all bee related purchases ;)

Hi everyone,

Many thanks

Linn

XXXX

Somehow, I feel as though I'm accidentally evesdropping on a domestic 'discussion'.

Got my 1st one from Hivemaker, 2nd from Thornes sale then x3 more from Hivemaker and relegated Thornes to use as spares as not a patch to Hivemaker's. Cost of cedar is more but no maintenance like pine.

I would wait to see what is available locally when nucs become available . If you buy one type now & you are offered a nuc on different type frames it will not suit. By June / July you will be impatient waiting to get bees

Got my 1st one from Hivemaker, 2nd from Th**nes sale then x3 more from Hivemaker and relegated Th**nes to use as spares as not a patch to Hivemaker's. Cost of cedar is more but no maintenance like pine.

Yep, hivemaker's yer man ! (send him a PM)

Hi Tony,
Am taking the course at West Norfolk & Kings Lynn Beekeeping Ass.

Maybe they will give me some advice?

I would email or phone the association secretary and ask if he can fix up a couple of apiary visits for you, ideally with different hive types, so you can see hives in use and discuss benefits & drawbacks with the beekeeper. Most beekeepers are more than happy to do so.
Richard

the WNKL branch of the NBKA are a very nice group, I meet a few of them @ the Norfolk AGM, and also @ the Royal Norfolk Show where I help out on the Beekeepers stand.

Latest posts

Back