Feral Bees- Catherine Thompson

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are so worried about "polystyrene food grade".
How many of you are worried about " food grade ply"

It is used much "chemical" before ply is ply. What about "food grade glue?".

Hah! When I started to hang on British bee forums, I read that you get natural hive when you paint it with creosote.
And then same guys were worried about poor matings.

Last edited:
most interior ply wood has soy based glue
Exterior ply has glues that release formaldehyde that causes asthma attacks.

Hah! When I started to hang on British bee forums, I read that you get natural hive when you paint it with creosote.

Know of someone that still uses it or a variant and he was an SBI.

Having concerns about the environment and looking afresh at things is generally considered to be pretty healthy, Finman. Your Brother Adam quotes about IOW disease and 30 year old research references are fascinating and quaint but having more hives than everybody else doesn't actually give you carte blanch to rubbish , insult and bully people, or lump all bee-keepers on the forum into some homogeneous single English entity. If you don't like the forum or its contributors there is an easy option.

Now I'm quite interested in the Coloss survey, can anybody give me a reference to a non academic summary that's easy to read? .

If it is incinerated in an energy from waste plant it has a higher energy density than coal and make the plant more efficient and it burns cleanly producing only CO2 water and a trace of ash.

I also have a major issue with single use polystyrene cartons not being recycled (particularly if they end up in the sea), but then I also have an issue with the apple juice cartons I use every day not being recycled. Both are completely recyclable, but my local authority won't recycle them, so they end up in landfill which puts my council tax up.

Problem solved, burn all waste poly in your fire,more efficient and cleaner than burning coal, keep the water it produces to supply cities with drinking water, and the ash for gardens= eviromentally more friendly.. burn poly.

Problem solved, burn all waste poly in your fire,more efficient and cleaner than burning coal, keep the water it produces to supply cities with drinking water, and the ash for gardens= eviromentally more friendly.. burn poly.

But only if you can provide a furnace temperature between 800 and 900 degrees as otherwise you don't get water and soot .... you get a complex mix of hydrocarbons that will do untold damage to you ! Like death .... if you inhale too much of it or just damage your nervous system if you only absorb sensible quantities ... neither recommended ...

I just hope my Abel & Cole veg has been grown in food grade soil fertilised by food grade manure. I am slightly worried about the farmers though - not many of them look food grade at all.

But only if you can provide a furnace temperature between 800 and 900 degrees as otherwise you don't get water and soot .... you get a complex mix of hydrocarbons that will do untold damage to you ! Like death .... if you inhale too much of it or just damage your nervous system if you only absorb sensible quantities ... neither recommended ...

Bit cooler than a candle flame then. I expect many people have burnt tons of plastics in their time, in fact even the dumps used to burn it..not noticed droves of people dropping dead around the camp fire, or shaking uncontrollably, so it must be burning at the right temperature.

Bit cooler than a candle flame then. I expect many people have burnt tons of plastics in their time, in fact even the dumps used to burn it..not noticed droves of people dropping dead around the camp fire, or shaking uncontrollably, so it must be burning at the right temperature.

You have to look closer to observe the sub lethal effects.

Everybody knows that Finland is a forest country and its companies around the world produces ply.

The Ply Handbook says according google translate:

The majority of Finnish cross-glued plywood is manufactured using phenol formaldehyde. This gluing method allows to use products in wet outdoor conditions (use class 3). Plates, however, must then be carefully coated and edge-protected.

A small part of the production of plywood is made with ureaformaldehyde glues
These products are suitable to use in dry (use class 1)
or moist (use class 2) indoor conditions.

The phenol formaldehyde plywood meets the European standard EN-314-2 class 3 (exterior) requirements. Sometimes can also refer to the national standards, such as DIN 68705: BFU 100 or BS 6566: WBP. The Finnish phenol formaldehyde plywood exhibit very low levels of formaldehyde
environment. Urea formaldehydiliimatun plywood emissions are slightly larger,
but it is still well below the EN standards for formaldehyde emission and concentrations of set stringent power requirements.

www.wisaplywood.com/en/downloads/.../general.../Handbook_FI.pd...

Try to hang along

Canadian Ply Handbook

Glue is playing an increasingly important
role in plywood construction, both in
nonstructural applications such as flush
panel doors, furniture, cabinets and built-ins
and in structural uses such as web beams,
stressed skin panels and similar plywood
structural components.

Casein glue is one of the older woodworking
glues and is still readily available in powder
form. When mixed with water it forms a glue
of moderately high dry strength and
moderate resistance to water, damp
atmospheres and intermediate
temperatures. Casein is generally applied
and pressed at room temperature. It is not
recommended for exterior exposure
and is
used primarily for laminating structural
timbers for interior use.

Contact and rubber-based glues - other than
those elastomeric construction adhesives
developed specifically for field-glued
plywood subfloors (see page 13) and
affixing plywood wall paneling to studs and
strapping - are not suitable for structural
uses. One of the main disadvantages of
these types of glue is that their dry strengths
are generally lower than those of
conventional wood working glues and the
joint tends to creep under prolonged
loading, losing its original configuration.
This joint deformation remains even after the
load is removed.

Contact adhesives are developed for
bonding two surfaces together without the
use of clamps. Unlike many conventional
wet bonding glues, contact adhesives are
applied to each surface to be bonded,
allowed to dry, then joined together with
pressure. The two dried adhesive coatings
fuse together to form a uniform bond of
immediate strength. Generally speaking,
the higher the pressure, the more uniform
the bond will be.

Common uses for contact adhesives involve
the bonding of non-porous materials to
Urea resin adhesives, available in dry
powder or liquid forms, are used extensively
for furniture, cabinet and door construction,
and similar general assembly work. They
are also used in some areas of marine
construction where the joint is not subject to
excessively high temperatures and high
humidity conditions. In general, urea resins
are high in both wet and dry strength,
moderately durable under damp conditions,
and have moderate to low resistance to
temperatures above 50 °C.

Resorcinol, phenol-resorcinol and phenolformaldehyde
resin adhesives, similar to the
type of thermo-setting glue used to make
plywood, are required for gluing plywood
and lumber into products that must
withstand stress and exposure to the
elements. Such uses include marine work
and plywood structural components such as
beams and stressed skin panels. For such
high strength uses a glue must develop
shearing stresses between the two surfaces
being joined and therefore should be
stronger than the wood itself in shear. These
three types of adhesives are high in both wet
and dry strength, very resistant to moisture
and damp conditions, and more resistant
than wood itself to high temperatures.

Polyvinyl acetate glues, often called ‘white
glues’, are valuable for non-structural interior
uses such as assembling flush panel doors,
cabinets and furniture. They are not
recommended for exterior exposure
because they are inherently elastic and have
low resistance to heat and moisture. The
glue joint also tends to creep under external
loads and with dimensional changes in the
wood caused by changes in moisture
content.

Synthetic resin adhesives now surpass most
of the older glues in importance for bonding
plywood.

Epoxy resins are used for more specialized
applications such as bonding metals,
plastics and some masonry materials to
themselves and to plywood. Their use in
wood-to-wood bonding is limited since their
permanence has not been adequately
established. Epoxy resins are marketed in
two parts, resin and curing agent, for mixing
at the point of use.

Yes ... me included - we've all seen that plume of lovely black, sooty, oily smoke go up from the bonfire as you chuck on the polystyrene plant trays and the stuff that came from round the new fridge, which the recyclers won't take and fills up the miniscule dustbin they allow us in this neck of the woods - just don't get it in your lungs if you can help it. Then we can worry about the sub lethal effects the hydrocarbons will have on the atmosphere later ... :hairpull:

Well it just flies in the face of the research from everywhere else and not being an acedemic qualified to find the flaws in it, I'll have to then accept that France is different to the rest of Europe. You can understand my reticence....

Some research from Sweden appears to show that unmanaged populations will eventually reach a state of equilibrium with varroa. They put 150 colonies on an island and monitored them for 6 years. A small number of the original colonies survived the term of study and the population seemed to adapt enough to ensure survival.
An isolated honey bee population (N = 150) was established on the southern tip of Gotland, an island in the Baltic sea. After infestation with 36 to 89 Varroa destructor mites per colony, they were unmanaged and allowed to swarm. For over six years colonies were monitored for swarming, winter losses, infestation rate in the fall, and bee population size in the spring. Winter mortality rate decreased from 76% and 57% in the third and fourth years, to 13% and 19% in the fifth and sixth years. Swarming rates increased from zero the third field season to 57.1% and 36.4% in the last two years. The mite infestation on adult bees decreased during the last two years, from 0.47% in the third year to 0.19% and 0.22% respectively. Our data suggest that a host-parasite co-adaptation has occurred ensuring survival of both the host and the parasite. The mechanisms behind this co-adaptation require further study.

Some research from Sweden appears to show that unmanaged populations will eventually reach a state of equilibrium with varroa. They put 150 colonies on an island and monitored them for 6 years. A small number of the original colonies survived the term of study and the population seemed to adapt enough to ensure survival.

This happened over 7 years ago since 1999

What they know about bee stock of Gotland? Bees do not show hygienic sensitive behaviour or extra grooming.

Here is a doctor research 2012 about Gotland bees.
Host-Parasite Adaptations and Interactions Between Honey Bees ...

pub.epsilon.slu.se/9036/1/locke_b_120912.pdf

................However, when the mite reproductive parameters were investigated
more closely, differences between these two populations became apparent. In
the Bond colonies on Gotland, delayed egg-laying by the mother mite was the
most frequent cause of failure to produce a mature mated female offspring
before eclosion of the bee pupa. The second major cause of reproductive
failure was the high proportion of dead mite offspring (Table 1). In contrast,
the mite surviving population in Avignon had a significantly larger proportion
of infertile mites compared to the local control colonies and delayed egg-laying
was a secondary contributing factor to the majority of mite reproductive
failures (Table 1). The proportion of infertile mites was also significantly
different between the two mite surviving populations, demonstrating a distinct
difference between them regarding the major parameters involved in reduced
mite reproduction. Furthermore, there were no drastically significant
differences between the control colonies on Gotland and in Avignon,
highlighting that these surviving population are in fact unique among the larger
managed population of honey bees in Europe

Neither hygienic nor grooming behavior was found to be significantly higher in
the Bond colonies than in control colonies and therefore they are not
considered likely explanations for the survival of this population.

The amount of adult bees, worker brood, and drone brood were
significantly lower in the Bond colonies than in control colonies. Therefore, the reduced population size of the Bond Bee colonies may be an adaptive characteristic to limit the mite population growth and could
perhaps be an even greater adaptive strategy than their ability to reduce mite
reproduction.

Gotland is quite a big area.
gotland.gif

Last edited:
They're suffering an outbreak of caravans?

Update in context of DWV "B"

If anyone is in touch with Catherine or her academic heirs, if the samples survive etc etc it would be fascinating to update this research in light of the recent discoveries re DWV "B", the Swindon survivors etc.

Latest posts

Back