Feeding

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well that kind of says it all...I would suggest any after a mixer try the car boot sales, theres always a few knocked off 1s going cheap:banghead: I was also in Thornes last autumn and there was a line waiting to collect invert i just wanted to cry as they handed over the cash

I'd be interested in acquiring some smaller scale stuff if anyone upgrading getting rid of their "small scale" stuff. Thinking 100, 200 litre barrels and plasterers mixers fitted to them.

200l barrel with an industrial sump pump see it on you tube ( not the one I copied !)
Invert £670 / 1000kg approx... but does not need to be mixed!

I'd be interested in acquiring some smaller scale stuff if anyone upgrading getting rid of their "small scale" stuff. Thinking 100, 200 litre barrels and plasterers mixers fitted to them.

I've just bought a mixing paddle for £75 and my food grade oil drums cost a tenner

going to drill a hole in the top of the drum lid and fix battens to support the mixer. Probably a 30 min job max.

I'll post some pics once done but the drum is 200 litres capacity so will probably yield 150 litres per mix

I've just bought a mixing paddle for £75 and my food grade oil drums cost a tenner

going to drill a hole in the top of the drum lid and fix battens to support the mixer. Probably a 30 min job max.

I'll post some pics once done but the drum is 200 litres capacity so will probably yield 150 litres per mix

I for one would be interested in seeing your set up and hear how it serves you? As I said earlier it’s a chore mixing syrup but definitely not cost effective to buy in feed.
S

I for one would be interested in seeing your set up and hear how it serves you? As I said earlier it’s a chore mixing syrup but definitely not cost effective to buy in feed.

S
I'll get it set up tomorrow and hopefully give it a run at the weekend.

I'll take a video and some pics and post it up.

Fingers crossed it goes well

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I can't believe the clever folk on here can not get there head's around a simple problem.. if i had a motorized honey extractor i know what i would be using..
And if i needed more than five litres of syrup per year i might drag my sump pump out of the cupboard..:rolleyes:

How do you go about feeding colonies when you have lots of them?

Ill be feeding a minimum of 14 litres per colony this year (now i have got all my feeders in place) so will need in the region of 800 litres of syrup, rounded up to a 1000 lets say.

Looking at the ambrosia IBC, it would fit on the back of a trailer and I could access most colonies and fill up the syrup in-situ but these cost over £1200 for a 1000kg.

Does anybody who uses that much make there own (I assume you do) and if so, care to share your method?

Im thinking of buying a used IBC, and a plasterers drill and setting up some sort of rig for mixing.

Any advice welcomed..

I use bought sugar and mix mine in honey barrels, I have a roofing burner under the barrel (x2) and heat the water up via gas bottles. It takes me about 1 1/2 hour from filling the tanks to decanting into old invert tubs. Most of that time is waiting for the water to warm so your away doing something else.
I use a stick to stir the syrup and have done it that way for the last 5 years.

I use bought sugar and mix mine in honey barrels, I have a roofing burner under the barrel (x2) and heat the water up via gas bottles. It takes me about 1 1/2 hour from filling the tanks to decanting into old invert tubs. Most of that time is waiting for the water to warm so your away doing something else.
I use a stick to stir the syrup and have done it that way for the last 5 years.

I have not found a need to heat the water as long as I mix well with a paddle.
S

60 liters tap water 120kg white granulated sugar
industrial dirty water stainless steel sump pump with a tube to top with a tap... plus a couple of valves.... fill turn on... pump heats the syrup... decant into 12.5 liter syrup bottles... add thymol... feed to bees in Ashforth feeders... job done
( that is all the food processing needed for Autumn)... enough to top up after the invert has been used up!

Spring and breeder feed 1liter water to 1kg sugar.......

Chons da

I can't believe the clever folk on here can not get there head's around a simple problem.. if i had a motorized honey extractor i know what i would be using..
And if i needed more than five litres of syrup per year i might drag my sump pump out of the cupboard..:rolleyes:

Brilliant...as long as you don't have a cheap Chinese version that leaks.

I've been reading about people using washing machines! Now there's an idea!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

It is but you are too late.

I mixed 10 tons of sugar using a single tub washing machine as it had both a pump and a heater. However, try finding one now that works outside a museum and you will be extremely lucky. I replaced the impeller twice but I also at the time had a relation who was in the 2nd hand domestic machine business and so had the parts. Eventually I had no need of it and it was scrapped.

Fast forward ten years....

I had a standing order with house clearing companies and zip. That's ten years ago so the chances now???????????????????? Between fog and a fart.

PH

It is but you are too late.

I mixed 10 tons of sugar using a single tub washing machine as it had both a pump and a heater. However, try finding one now that works outside a museum and you will be extremely lucky. I replaced the impeller twice but I also at the time had a relation who was in the 2nd hand domestic machine business and so had the parts. Eventually I had no need of it and it was scrapped.

Fast forward ten years....

I had a standing order with house clearing companies and zip. That's ten years ago so the chances now???????????????????? Between fog and a fart.

PH

Too far for me to collect if won, but I assume this is the type of machine you have been looking for?
S

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Capacity...m=132977977290&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982

We had something a bit older than that when we where kids..it had an electric mangle on it that i pushed my toys through...one day my finger followed a toy..the results where not good..

Ouch! You must have been posh though, electric mangle AND toys :)

I can also remember my late mum with her twin tub washing machine, she thought she was the bees knees with all the latest gadgets....how times have changed, don't think they are any better though
S

We had something a bit older than that when we where kids..it had an electric mangle on it that i pushed my toys through...one day my finger followed a toy..the results where not good..
I remember doing the same. :eek: it ended up as far as my upper arm due to the springs being knackered, luckily. My mum didn't notice it as she was on the phone(Landline in those days)

Latest posts

Back