Urgent bee starvation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be expected I think with the lack of white bees coming in.

I remember saying a short time ago on a posting...that I could see us having to feed the bees this autumn...at the time someone told me that I couldn't see into the future..that no one could....hmmm..perhaps I can after all....sadly.

I think a lot of us were saying we would have to feed

Funny old world; after a severe dearth as they ate their honey that I had my eye on now suddenly I have a flow. I think it's a wee scrap of heather on a nearby heath. But yes I can see starvation is a very real and present danger. I'm a bit cautious about extracting this weekend (and even more cautious about how I am going to get the supers cleared and removed).

It's not just honey is it, you are feeding them sugar in the form of fondant
candipoline gold is just fondant with a bit of pollen substitute added not pure pollen - if you feed them more sugar than they need they will store it so your nectar derived honey stores will be adulterated with plain sugar.
If you think your bees are starving, feed them sugar syrup, if they're not starving don't feed them anything.
Candipoine gold may be slightly beneficial in the spring to help them build up when there is little pollen around - I've never found the need to.

Says irradiated pollen on their label... but sugar does just as well if not feedin for breedin!

Yeghes da

It's not just honey is it, you are feeding them sugar in the form of fondant
candipoline gold is just fondant with a bit of pollen substitute added not pure pollen - if you feed them more sugar than they need they will store it so your nectar derived honey stores will be adulterated with plain sugar.
If you think your bees are starving, feed them sugar syrup, if they're not starving don't feed them anything.
Candipoine gold may be slightly beneficial in the spring to help them build up when there is little pollen around - I've never found the need to.
Are you a Grumpy Old Man or Woman with good experience in year's of bee keeping.. If you are.. Brilliant.. i will take you more serious... and take some comment's with a pinch of salt.. ;)

Says irradiated pollen on their label... but sugar does just as well if not feedin for breedin!

Yeghes da

sugar,milk and egg protein with added irradiated pollen - f*cked about fondant in other words - another snake oil product to gull the innocent, just read the ebay entry 'proudly' proclaimed by their official North of England stockist just a load of hype. But if some people are daft enough to buy it...........................

Are you a Grumpy Old Man or Woman with good experience in year's of bee keeping.. If you are.. Brilliant.. i will take you more serious... and take some comment's with a pinch of salt.. ;)

you'll learn - the hard way by the looks of it :D Just trying to save you wasting your hard earned cash innocently buying products you don't need.

you'll learn - the hard way by the looks of it :D Just trying to save you wasting your hard earned cash innocently buying products you don't need.
Thank you very much for your advice.. it is much appreciated .. i had enough to research before and now you have made my life worse.. lol ..

Well you know where you can get yourself a million quid if you can.
But then if you can see the future, you already know the outcome :icon_204-2:

Ha ha ho ho he he....if only....and I'm not telling!

Milk or egg derived proteins should not be fed to bees, there are negative effects associated.

And yes, I know people have fed them for years and say it's just fine, but it's not.

As for Candipoline, well you may as well feed plain fondant. The beneficial proteins are so low as to be insignificant.

Same hear, but I think it's the rain rather than nectar.Colonies with supers on have been slowly emptying them and splits have had to be fed.

Well there is a LOT of rain still about but what we have had here so far and the associated extreme humidity have kicked off big flows from something (I suspect heather) so I hope everyone gets some relief between the rain; our problem had been extreme dryness since about early June at least.

Apart from the compost bin colony (which is still in a Nuc) I've not had to feed any of mine yet but there have been weeks where they have eaten a lot of the stored honey and then you get days when they are packing it in like there's no tomorrow. We've had heavy rain on and off for the last few days (not as bad as the West but enough to fill the pond) and in the breaks between the rain they are working like mad ... indeed, two of my colonies seem to fly even when it's raining - stupid bees.

It's difficult to see what they are bringing in - living in the middle of town there's lots of lavender in bloom in gardens, plenty of flowers in bloom and the allotments are thick with climbing beans and autumn raspberries in flower. Loostrife around my pond is being worked by all sorts of bees and other insects and I saw bay willow herb on the railway bankings as well. Yesterday afternoon, in between the rain, was lovely and sunny and last night there was that really nice hum from the hives when they are working the nectar so I'm hopeful....

Careful now Phil - you don't want to be accused of taking honey off your hives :D

Yehhh .... I'm aiming high this year .... two jars instead of the normal ONE !!!

I may have to move them off the ley lines if it looks like a bumper harvest of THREE jars ....

Yehhh .... I'm aiming high this year .... two jars instead of the normal ONE !!!

I may have to move them off the ley lines if it looks like a bumper harvest of THREE jars ....

I think this is the issue, this year with my colonies since moving them OFF ley lines, to an out-apiary, not on ley lines, they not done as well!

my neighbour also commented, his mum told him, honey bees never do well, down their, better to bring them back to your garden! (where the swarms land!)

flame retardant under-krackers on!!!! :nature-smiley-014::nature-smiley-014:

Last edited:
I think this is the issue, this year with my colonies since moving them OFF ley lines, to an out-apiary, not on ley lines, they not done as well!

my neighbour also commented, his mum told him, honey bees never do well, down their, better to bring them back to your garden! (where the swarms land!)

Maybe I should put a test hive in the spot in the hedge where swarms often land?

Try putting them under power lines - no extra honey but your bees'll will hum :D

Back