Feeding while treating for varroa?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeBo

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
1 WBC 2 National
I put on the second lot of apiguard treatment a week ago. I'm aware this treatment should last for two weeks.

I worried I'm running out of time to feed.

Would it be ok to start feeding now or must it wait another week?

Apiguard is 2 doses each for 2 weeks running consecutively.
I feed with thymolated syrup 2:1 using either Ashforth / Millar / rapid feeders ...
whilst treatment is underway....and bees do not seem to have any objection to storing it all away

I put on the second lot of apiguard treatment a week ago. I'm aware this treatment should last for two weeks.

I worried I'm running out of time to feed.

Would it be ok to start feeding now or must it wait another week?

I think the recommendation not to feed during treatment is based on the risk that the bees may spend their time storing feed rather than cleaning the apiguard out.

Had similar concern this year - Consensus appears to be its ok to feed on the second week of the Api treatment

Late feeding with sugar syrup brings a risk that bees may not process/ store it in time before the big chill sets in and they lose motivation to get it all sorted. Take a risk on the temperatures or feed anyway. Better to give them the opportunity to take the stuff rather than have to resort to fondant as your only means later in the year, methinks.

Late feeding with sugar syrup brings a risk that bees may not process/ store it in time before the big chill sets in and they lose motivation to get it all sorted. Take a risk on the temperatures or feed anyway. Better to give them the opportunity to take the stuff rather than have to resort to fondant as your only means later in the year, methinks.

What temperature would you consider too low for syrup?

In Devon you should be ok feeding syrup at the moment
It can be done at the same time as thymol treatment.
Some bees won't take syrup from contact feeders when the Apiguard is being used
If they are taking syrup that is fine
Time is running out for syrup feeds though

Only reference to use seems to be not to overdose or feed when a honey flow is on.... the one dose for two weeks followed by a second dose for another dose is to zap the varroa for a complete life (DEATH?) cycle.

In Devon you should be ok feeding syrup at the moment
It can be done at the same time as thymol treatment.
Some bees won't take syrup from contact feeders when the Apiguard is being used
If they are taking syrup that is fine
Time is running out for syrup feeds though

This is Scotland talking to Devon, mind.

I googled this question and some American beekeepers have reported temps as low as 30f/ that's -1 and bees still taking syrup, but what most are saying is the temp of the syrup that is important and that should be no lower than 50f/10c

I googled this question and some American beekeepers have reported temps as low as 30f/ that's -1 and bees still taking syrup, but what most are saying is the temp of the syrup that is important and that should be no lower than 50f/10c

Insulate around the feeder?

Insulate around the feeder?
That sprung to mind,
maybe a bit of cow dung in a sealed plastic bag :puke:

Or a couple of hand warmers should maintain the the temp for a few hours longer

Lowest temperature forecast in my neck of the woods for the next 5 days is 15c so should be ok to get some syrup down them

Redwood

I suppose it all depends on the temp in the area above the feeder hole.

Mine have taken winter feed from a rapid feeder as late as end October with a thin ply crown board- so heat from the bb leaked through.

Redwood

I suppose it all depends on the temp in the area above the feeder hole.

Mine have taken winter feed from a rapid feeder as late as end October with a thin ply crown board- so heat from the bb leaked through.
:iagree: It doesn't usually get cold here until November unless you live on top of the mountains

I've only just got the first dose of Apiguard on a few hives, so am thinking of a thymolated syrup.

:iagree: It doesn't usually get cold here until November unless you live on top of the mountains

Cold! don't be so soft, you bottom of the valleys boys don't know you're born, many a morning I've had to break the ice on the hand basin before having a pee - and that's in August! :D

Latest posts

Back