Feeding in October

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Late in the season bees are likely to object to interference, so give them another chance on warm spring days next year. However, if they continue to be defensive, requeen before they produce drones that will pollute the locality and amplify the problem for others.

Did they swarm or supersede this year?
Hive 1 swarmed 3 times this year and we are on queen 4. Hive 2 is from a new nuc. Queen swarmed so new one introduced in early summer. Very very aggressive this year. Last year ( my first) they were very cooperative, frantic stinging here from both hives since summer. I’m only in second year, so it’s a bit disheartening as they are finding ways to get their stings in. They are also dive bombing anyone who walks near apiary. Yesterday I had to walk away at least five or six times over what previously would be an easy visit. Next opening is in 6 weeks to remove apivar. If they attack then I’ll be surprised as I imagine they’ll be quiet. Then to wait till April.

new one introduced in early summer
If you bought queens then the problem lies with the supplier, though not much to do about it but have a chat with them. If open-mated virgins from your stock, then the problem is with the local drones. Either way, get an order in to re-queen before they make too many drones next spring. BHP, BMH, BS, Exmoor, or BeckysBees have a good reputation.

bit disheartening
Understatement! I had a few this season (open-mated) that were a dive-bombing pain, but killed the queens and united them to other placid colonies. That is one advantage of having more than a few colonies and other apiaries.

Latest posts

Back