Feeding bees their own honey do they store or use it

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charentejohn

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
warre
Number of Hives
Trying to find an answer online but all I am getting is bees eat honey.
I will be left with 3 dadant frames, maybe, full of honey and pollen having done a move to another hive. Honey from the same bees so after the move I can feed it back to them.

Question is will they use it as energy or store it again for winter.
If and when I do feed it back will depend on the time of year. So if I fed it in August when plenty of forage about will they just store it as is.

Helps me plan what to do next year.

Why not store the frames in the freezer. Honey and pollen brood frames are really valuable for making nucs and splits.
If you feed it back to the bees they will either use it or store it or both depending on their needs.

Good idea, I could freeze it in sections. I won't be using the Dadant frames as such for splits as I will (hopefully) be all Warre by then. I could use the frames when empty to attract furure swarms into a box.

Seems that if I do give them some of the honey back (as an example if needed before winter) then they will store any surplus.
I was just worried they couldn't store it like they do nectar and would just burn it up. Handy to have on tap in case it is needed coming out of winter.

Latest posts

Back