Extraction cut off date?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Number of Hives
When do people normally leave the bees to forage just for themselves?

I realise this question depends on local conditions and nectar sources but is there a general rule?

Last year I extracted in mid July but given the terrible weather my honey levels are much lower than last year and it’s already nearly August.
I know a lot of people start varoa treatments in August, so what should be the cut off day to ensure effective treatment and that the bees build up enough stores for themselves?

I reckon by 8-10th August.then varroa.
But if in sunny South, where warmer, then later

I've already extracted. Hoping they bring in a bit more but I'm doubtful at present. There are a lot of bees looking to rob plus wasps lurking now.

this weekend, - did have six lovely full supers, doubtful I have two full boxes between them now with the rubbish weather.
going to extract - and then get on with treatments and winter prep.
My thinking is I really want to be in a good place next spring - I have a lot of hawthorn around me so want strong colonies.
only extracting from one hive - the rest I am going to move 1 x Part filled super Under the brood box for extra stores.

this weekend, - did have six lovely full supers, doubtful I have two full boxes between them now with the rubbish weather.
going to extract - and then get on with treatments and winter prep.
My thinking is I really want to be in a good place next spring - I have a lot of hawthorn around me so want strong colonies.
only extracting from one hive - the rest I am going to move 1 x Part filled super Under the brood box for extra stores.
And just to be different..... Mine are still in full flow.....not sure what on😜

fields around here are a Barren wasteland of Something that gets cut for a Bio Digester. - blackberry well & truly gone / Any Ivy they can keep for winter.

When do people normally leave the bees to forage just for themselves?

I realise this question depends on local conditions and nectar sources but is there a general rule?

Last year I extracted in mid July but given the terrible weather my honey levels are much lower than last year and it’s already nearly August.
I know a lot of people start varoa treatments in August, so what should be the cut off day to ensure effective treatment and that the bees build up enough stores for themselves?
That's a question that only you can answer - nothing in beekeeping can be done by the calendar. A knowledge of what is still available as forage in your locality, the bees you keep, the size of colonies, the weather all contribute to the decision and will change from year to year. We are still in July and despite the weather we are still mid season. Down here on the Costa del Fareham I tend to leave extraction until late in August - the weather in September is often good down here and gives them opportunities to gather stores and there is usually a good flow of ivy for them well into October, It will be very different for someone in the West of Scotland.

Not in this part of Surrey😡
Could be all the fancy gardens in my area or the Pick-your-own farm, close by. Lots of orange and yellow pollen coming in, some bees quite weighed down by the amount they're carrying, looking knackered when they arrive back at the hive. So may be sourced from quite a distance away.

Mine are also in flow, nectar and pollen. Down in sunny/rainy Surrey.
Though, it's not full flow.
When the main flow was end of june early july it would be mid end of august, this year as with last year main flow was mid June in Surrey, so I will take off this weekend so I can treat earlier, that leaves them all the ivy and a good chunk of Himalyan Balsam as i take of all supers and run as 2 x 8 frame nationals they have enough room to store in the brood boxes the honey for the winter

When the main flow was end of june early july it would be mid end of august, this year as with last year main flow was mid June in Surrey, so I will take off this weekend so I can treat earlier, that leaves them all the ivy and a good chunk of Himalyan Balsam as i take of all supers and run as 2 x 8 frame nationals they have enough room to store in the brood boxes the honey for the winter
Are you saying, in your experience, from now on there may be enough flow remaining in Surrey to fill a 2nd BB?
If so, that's great news for me, as I have colonies currently on a single BB, and would like to level up to 2 X BB.

Do you also syrup feed, to be sure?

Latest posts

Back