Favourite sites to see

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonf

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Smith
Number of Hives
Just a little post to ask what is your favourite sites to see in or around your hive.
I recently put some frames of foundation in the brood chamber of one of my hives and looked in today to see they are drawn out and the queen has layed in them, all of my other frames are a bit dirty so this looks really nice golden yellow nice brood pattern etc, it made me feel :hurray:
little things please little minds I know:eek:

Today scout bees checking out one of my bait hives this afternoon

HRH

Pollen arriving at the hive entrance

Seeing new beekeepers faces when they look into a full hive for the first time

Bees arriving at my pond, drinking from the moss growing on the logs at the edge. I can have a really good look at them, and they are really pretty!

bees doing the house work (cleaning taking out dead bees and wax:hurray:
if only my teenage boyz were bees their bedrooms would bee spotless. If only LOL:cheers2:

just about everything......

Watching the girls come in low and slow full of nectar,

then looking the other way and watching which way the flight path is going today.

Putting the chickens to bed and seeing them sat on the landing board "having a fag" before bed (the bees not the chickens)

A nice sunny day watching the girls come and go after a good inspection. That can really set me up and make me feel all is right with the world.

No bees yet so I have to be content with watching someone else's bees on my apple trees blossom!

Not many bees this year. This time last year the trees were positively buzzing..

Also no bees yet, so favourite sight is scout bees doing a bit of house hunting around my bait hive. Favourite sound, humming of the apple tree thick with bees (someone else's though like Spadaman).

Sites: nice old orchard round the corner from where I work, with a peaceful little cluster of busy hives in the corner.

Sights: mass orientation flights of newly emerged workers. Zooming about in little orbits around the hive, almost as if they're overjoyed to get out into the sunshine. They make a sustained, busy noise, like a quieter version of a swarm: "wooo hooo!!!" :party:

Eggs, yes I like eggs and I can finally spot them even in dark comb :)
I love the SOUND of a fanning hive in the evening and the smell of the day's work.....wonderful.

Top three so far this year
  • Walking past a hive and finding a swarm has moved in - 9 days later seeing capped worker brood.
  • then giving the swarm to a new beekeeper.
  • Finding a lovely new fat laying 2011 queen after finding queen cells and putting together a 4 frame nuc.

P1020873c.jpg
:D

Latest posts

Back