Farrars rule

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone have experience with honey from blackcurrants. I have 2 colonies on acres of them. This will be the first year.
Thanks
F we have colonys this season on a cider farm and they have acres of blackcurrant growing so I'm interested to know also.
We also have 20 or so currants growing and I've never seen the bees working them so far, I've seen bumbles and wasps foraging them though.

Does anyone have experience with honey from blackcurrants. I have 2 colonies on acres of them. This will be the first year.
Thanks
Please do let us know
I have a lot of black currants. Never seen honey bees on them.
According to Howse, although blackcurrants give nectar freely there are so many alternatives in abundance at the same time as currants are flowing there's little chance of getting a primarily currant honey as bees are usually attracted to other sources as well.

Last edited:
I'd be interested to know about blackcurrants too. A friend of my daughter lives on a farm where they grow acres of them.

James

I have black currants too, and bees and bumbblebees visit on them. In your area bees have probably better flowers in that time.
Yes that’s the crux but if the bees are on a large blackcurrant farm there might be some advantage.

Black current cultivations are usual in Finland.

40 years ago I tried a trick to spray urea on current leaves, when berries were half way growing. The berries growed double size, but the taste was about a quater.

Screenshot_20220308-203317_Google.jpg

40 years ago I tried a trick to spray urea on current leaves, when berries were half way growing. The berries growed double size, but the taste was about a quater
maybe try washing the urea off the currants next time?

Urea, are you taking the p!ss 😂🤣😂🤣

You want to know something about plant fertilization
Another foliar fertilization is needed. It is magnesium.

You can use these boath to black current.

Screenshot_20220309-153400_Chrome.jpg

Deficiency of magnesium in tomato. Foliar spray once a week keeps it away.

Screenshot_20220309-154301_Google.jpg

Last edited:
According to Howse, although blackcurrants give nectar freely there are so many alternatives in abundance at the same time as currants are flowing there's little chance of getting a primarily currant honey as bees are usually attracted to other sources as well.
So hopefully a good chance of a reasonable nectar flow.

Latest posts

Back