Face mask for Apibioxal

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbeeneil

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
40 plus 23 that I maintain for clients.
I have been producing COSHH assessments for a teaching apiary and have been getting Safety Data Sheets for each product. When I was looking for the SDS for Apibioxal I was sent this.
Item 4.5 indicates a FFP2 mask is all that is required whilst using the product.

Attachments

• api-bioxal.pdf
    243.9 KB · Views: 30
I find the veil keeps some of it out🤮
Please Please Yes use a FFP2 mask, all Oxalic Acid fumes are VERY dangerous if inhaled, your veil keeps 0% out.

You can use full or half mask, but you must use one. The filters last some time if you keep them in a ziplock bag so they do not dry up, mine up five years old now. But YES it must be FFP2 to remove the gas.

Please Please Yes use a FFP2 mask, all Oxalic Acid fumes are VERY dangerous if inhaled, your veil keeps 0% out.

You can use full or half mask, but you must use one. The filters last some time if you keep them in a ziplock bag so they do not dry up, mine up five years old now. But YES it must be FFP2 to remove the gas.
Immediately the vapour leaves the heat it condenses back to a solid. The drifting cloud you can see is powder not gas.

My point in the original post is that there have been many posts here debating the types of masks required and most people advocating the used of ones that filter organic acid gases.
I was surprised to find a definitive answer from the manufacturer that a FFP2 mask was adequate!

a definitive answer from the manufacturer
Sublimox recommend A2P3 filters: A is organic gases and P particles, graded from 1 to 3 of strength of filter.

I use a full face mask: eyes have a liquid surface that will absorb some vapour.

If the manufacturers are saying a FFP2 mask we can assume they consider the material is not in a gaseous state and hence no need for the organic acid gases filter. They obviously consider a particle filter is adequate to protect the respiratory system but I take your point about the eyes.

In your quest for safety in the apiary, it's great that you were thorough with COSHH assessments a year ago. Regarding Apibioxal, the Safety Data Sheet's recommendation of an FFP2 mask seemed appropriate, as it ensures protection from any potential inhalation hazards. Safety should always be a top priority in beekeeping.
By the way, speaking of safety and protection, you might find Argireline peptide interesting. It's an anti-wrinkle ingredient that's gaining attention for its potential skincare benefits. It's essential to protect not only yourself but also your skin!

Last edited:
In your quest for safety in the apiary, it's great that you were thorough with COSHH assessments a year ago. Regarding Apibioxal, the Safety Data Sheet's recommendation of an FFP2 mask seemed appropriate, as it ensures protection from any potential inhalation hazards. Safety should always be a top priority in beekeeping.
An FFP2 is not sufficient protection

An FFP2 is not sufficient protection
The data sheet does specify eye protection and gloves too, but it does state ffp2 for respiratory protection - I would expect this to be adequate as the acid is in the solid particulate state when we are exposed to it (I use an ffp3 though).
I'm surprised they don't specify clothes too eg a bee suit. Visions of beekeepers naked except for mask/gloves/glasses vaping hives 😱😁

The data sheet does specify eye protection and gloves too, but it does state ffp2 for respiratory protection - I would expect this to be adequate as the acid is in the solid particulate state when we are exposed to it (I use an ffp3 though).
I'm surprised they don't specify clothes too eg a bee suit. Visions of beekeepers naked except for mask/gloves/glasses vaping hives 😱😁
Do you think you can get a good seal round your mouth and nose with one of these?

IMG_1274.jpeg

Do you think you can get a good seal round your mouth and nose with one of these?

View attachment 38404
If using a varrox, and unless you're a complete imbecile, yes, as the chances of getting into contact with the sublimate is pretty low

View attachment 38404
I guess I'm lucky that I got "fit tested" for the one I use during the COVID pandemic, so I'm confident of fit. However I wouldn't be very concerned about very minor leaks. If you can feel the mask pull against your face when you take a deep breath, and can't feel any leaks, it's probably a pretty good fit.

Latest posts

Back