Extractor Investment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melon

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, I'm going to spend lots of money, as I find 4 frame manual extractor a bit too much now. The M'more 9 or 15 frame radial , possibly electric is what I am looking at. Please can anybody, with experience, tell me whether it is OK. Why I am worried, is that our association have an small extractor from there, which I borrowed once, and it was a nightmare...the frames kept falling over. Someone has now modified it, but I don't want problems! Also, when they have legs, do extractors still jump about the floor? I have to hold on so tightly to my 4 frame manual. I do try and balance frames, but it still has to be held tightly. Your views appreciated. Thanks.

Oh I think a video of you jumping around with your extractor is necessary. Then buy a new one. :)

Sorry to disappoint, but nobody took a video of me, and I've finished extracting for this year! Is it not normal for folks to be trying to restrain their excitable extractors?

Hi, I'm in exactly the same position and looking to invest in a 9 frame radial electric extractor, prehaps on a co-operative basis.

I have used a 3 frame manual without legs which jumped around too although I used a 3 frame manual with legs this year and it was so much easier - it didn't move at all!

Good luck!

I think all extractors will jump about, at least to begin with, if they arent loaded with frames in a balanced way. In practice I have found that almost impossible as some frames are fuller than others, some contain pollen, we arent extracting 9 (or 6 or 3) frames at once.

You can mitigate the problem by running the extractor at the lower speeds for longer, but you will still get some vibration at higher speeds most of the time, in my experience.

Also, when they have legs, do extractors still jump about the floor? I have to hold on so tightly to my 4 frame manual. I do try and balance frames, but it still has to be held tightly. Your views appreciated. Thanks.
What you need to do is attach castors to the legs, The extracor then just does a little rotation and can be controlled, if necessary, just by holding with one hand. It is hard to beleive but this does work.
Ruary

Carl Frits' auto reversible swing cage extracter is an awsome bit of kit. It will also do heather honey

If you let a weight of honey build up in the extractor it will damp out much of this vibration but you will be limited in what you can do by the clearance between the extracted honey and the position/height of the frames in the extractor. If the honey level gets too high it will cause problems by hindering the 'spin' and may lead to the motor being burnt out...
Your other option is to add weight to the extractor in some other fashion to damp out the vibration; possibly by hanging a 56lb weight from the bottom of the extractor if it is on legs.

I've got an 8 frame radial, drill driven, from agrinova. very good value piece of kit. I fitted a triangular ply 'foot' with a castor at each corner to help stop 'wandering across the kitchen floor syndrome'
as the extractor is powered by a variable speed drill, it's simple to start up and run slowly at first 'til the frames are balanced, then a higher speed to fully extract.

the 8 frame Giordan drill driven model from agrinova will cost you 2/3 the sale price of the 9 frame Maisymore electric one. Excellent piece of kit IMHO.

DOI: Proud owner of shiny Giordan 12 frame LS model.

by hanging a 56lb weight from the bottom of the extractor if it is on legs.

Beware that you take into account the design of the thing first. That could be a recipe to destroy your expensive purchase.

Ruary and TB are on the better track.

The vibration can occur at different points in the extraction cycle dependant on the initial and final balance of the frames, so one needs either to be aware of how to avoid/reduce the problem or simply only extract a batch of identical frames (a la castellation route). Simply putting up with excessive vibration could well result in an early fatigue failure around the leg fixings.

This is one area where castellated frame runners are a bonus, I suspect.

RAB

Castors help.
Weight under help too. You can't guarantee that all frames are identical in weight.
Otherwise just hang on for dear life; Hug the extractor like a long lost friend and hope nobody's watching.

(I've got a Gordan from Agrinova too). :)

I run a 15 frame extractor, and bolt it through the floorboards into the joists when I run it, and it still tries to wobble. Running it at low speed first normally removes any excessively heavy frame weight misbalance and then I wind it up to full speed.

Adam

In full accord with the posts re Giordan and Agri Nova. A nice piece of kit at a good price, well designed and built and excellent service

I use the maisemoores 9 frame electric extractor and it works a treat the same motor is on the bigger ones as well.

Oh and the giordan will be cheaper as it comes with a drill not a proper motor.

agreed the Giordans don't come with "proper" motors BUT having sourced a brand new Draper 1050W drill on ebay for around £25 am willing to accept the odd burnt out drill motor in exchange for the £425 cost (inc. IVA and delivery) for a 12 framer that takes LS brood frames. I dread to think what the equivalent with a fixed motor would cost in UK from another supplier.

Giordan also make to order - so individual specifications can be met (although beware august holiday factory shutdown!!!!).

The stainless ripeners are also much better value than other makes.

Not having a pop at the giordan just stating the price is due to the motor.

Latest posts

Back