Extraction / Varroa Treatment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwiftOtter

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
We have two apparently strong healthy hives, the stronger of the two has 3 nearly full capped supers on. Circumstances dictate that if we are to extract any honey we have a period between 17 July and 10 August when it will be very difficult. My last varroa inspection showed high level of infestation with 8 and 10 mites per day. Many of these were still alive and mobile by the way. Clearly some treatment is needed, but we would like a honey crop at last. If we extract within the next week, then treat with Apiguard and write off the subsequent honey crop would we be safe? I have also considered MAQS. We lack the spare equipment required for a shook swarm. Would it be too late for this and would we have to sacrifice the honey crop?

Maqs can apparently be used when supers are on.

If there are nearly fully capped supers still sitting unextracted you risk them becoming crystallised and then you lose most of the joy of getting the crop extracted easily - or at all perhaps. Clearly the capped cells enclose honey with the appropriate water content reduced and if 20% of the cells are not capped the probability is that the water content will have little or no effect on the quality of the whole crop (have you tried the shake test even?) Why the devil you ask such a question beats me. Get the honey off whatever you eventually decide to do about the varroa - MAQS best in you circs anyway.

They are hived in the centre of a city miles away from OSR, so crystallisation is not such an issue. I have tried the shake test, there is some nectar running out but very little. Looks like we are going ahead with the extraction anyway. Sorry if my question is daft, I am a beginner and beginners tend to ask daft questions.

Is Apiguard not a suitable treatment now then, given that we are taking off the honey crop? Or would you recommend MAQS instead on the basis that there maybe another honey crop to come which may be tainted by Apiguard, or because you think it is more effective (or both)? I have heard reports of Queens being killed during its application.

Cheers
Chris

They are hived in the centre of a city miles away from OSR, so crystallisation is not such an issue. Cheers Chris

I don't believe you. I know Cambridge well (my son is in medical research at Addenbrooks) and there is usually plenty of OSR within flying distance of city centre and bees will find it when its available in preference to almost anything else.

Hmmm, well, good job we are extracting it then, let's hope it's not crystallised.

Hmmm, well, good job we are extracting it then, let's hope it's not crystallised.

I hope so to for your sake. However, all is not necessarily lost. Extract what will spin out and any that won't, dunk the frame under the warm water tap, shake off the surplus water in the extracted cells (with the frame top pointing down) and then give the frames back to the bees for them to recover it all either by eating it or storing it for the autumn/winter.

Thanks for the tip. I feel quite embarrassed at my lack of local knowledge. The honey they have made is quite dark, I had thought the main forage was honeydew from all the trees in the colleges. But I have seen the occasional yellow face, which I think is from rape. There are a lot of sources of alternative forage in the backs, but you are right it is about 1.5 miles to the nearest fields so if they are growing rape they could have been attractive. I was obviously mistaken in my assumptions.

Thanks for the tip. I feel quite embarrassed at my lack of local knowledge. The honey they have made is quite dark, I had thought the main forage was honeydew from all the trees in the colleges. But I have seen the occasional yellow face, which I think is from rape. There are a lot of sources of alternative forage in the backs, but you are right it is about 1.5 miles to the nearest fields so if they are growing rape they could have been attractive. I was obviously mistaken in my assumptions.

With a bit of luck you will have a real mixture in the comb ... some OSR and some tree/back garden stuff and whilst it will crystallise it may not be as quick as pure OSR. I've got OSR about 1.5 miles as the bee flies but it's only the odd one or two bees coming back with yellow faces, majority are landing heavy but clean faced.

I reckon that when it's a bit of distance to the OSR only the fitter, possibly younger and more determined ones go for the long haul. My bees are a very placid bunch and I think they may be on the lazy side when it comes to distance flying !

Swift otter don't be embarrassed. Many of us have not investigated all the fields in the area we live in. You are new to this as am I. You will find some good advice comes with a sting. I have just had to check what MAQS is so you know more than me!

If the pollen is any indicator (probably isn't I suppose) then their forage is quite diverse. I would be interested in finding out how to determine the source of the nectar. I have a colour chart for the pollen which I didn't find very easy to use.

Back