Electric Motor for Extractor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy-glide

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Has anyone identified a suitable motor on #bay to convert a manual extractor?

Unsure of speed range or indeed size for a 2 frame radial.

Aware one could use an electric drill but looking for something more suitable.

With only 2 frames it wouldn't be worth it , you would most likely need to go for a 3 phase motor with a gear box or some sort a soft start/ variable speed drive to make sure it turned slow enough otherwise the frames will break.
The drill is the cheaper option.

I think an electric drill would be more suited for a two frame extractor, hardly worth the effort and cost for two frames.

You can buy motor kits with variable speed controllers for sewing machines, or conversion kits for old Singer conversions which would giving you the smooth start. But you would need a little engineering skill/tools/lathe to make a connection your existing drive system and a hold the motor in place. That's if a sewing machine motor would have the power to spin the system at the speed required, even with the correct gearing......I don't know.

Another vote here for the variable speed electric drill. Cheap, simple and dual purpose.

My Giordan 8 frame radial uses an electric drill. No problems. Rather than spending to mod a 2 frame spinner, which hardly seems worth it, I would save my money towards a bigger extractor. Your profile says you have 3 hives. Must be slow going with a 2 frame spinner. Motorising it would save little time

Last edited:
you would most likely need to go for a 3 phase motor

I don't think so. How many private dwellings have a 3 phase supply? A single phase motor is perfectly adequate. Any commutator motor is readily speed regulated.

Many battery operated screwdriver/drills even have speed controlled DC motors these days.

80W is the usual power for anything up to (and probably beyond) 9 frame extractors. Most mains powered drills are far in excess of this power, so are not stressed at all.

Best advice so far.-

Inclined to agree ... but the OP did ask a specific question. If they are not considering the obvious alternatives, that is not the fault of the responders to his specific posting.

There are several videos on Youtube which explain how to convert a washing machine motor for general use. They can be sourced 'from the dump' for free or the cost of a pint.

Such motors are high r.p.m. universal motors, so would need to be geared down and/or fitted with a speed controller (Ebay, ex-China - a couple of quid).

But - much depends on your skills/knowledge re: such DIY projects and working with electrickery ...
LJ

Cheapest option is a £10 running machine off eBay.
I ran a 15 frame extractor for 10 years off one.

Just use the motor spindle belt and speed sensor hooked up to the screen and set your speed,it will even tell you how many calories have been used and comes with a built in timer.
Pics to follow if interested...

Cobble up a battery drill to your existing set up

But why bother extracting just 2 frames... you could quickly crush and strain the comb just as easily for a couple of small jars of honey??

Nos da

Just use the motor spindle belt and speed sensor hooked up to the screen and set your speed,it will even tell you how many calories have been used and comes with a built in timer.

Yes, that would be interesting to see. I am looking at a motor for my 8 frame tangential one.

Thanks.

Any chance of those pictures Admin

I'd say 3 phase is good as you have one already in your house, so less money to spend, as you can just plug it it.

I like the washing machine idea, really do, like put it on its side, and you can pedal the bin around without plugging it in, or crack it around with a spanner/adjustable, but it would mean doing some kind of steampunk dark alleyway job with red lights and lots of steam/smoke to blend in the mood.

Haha, my mind started on getting a record player and using it at 78rpm, by the end of one side of pink floyd at a mickey mouse intensity, you could have enjoyed your honey flow with all kinds of stuff.

Back