Elder

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justme

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
10(OSB hives)1 National
Is it just me or has no one else noticed elder flowering this late before? It's always been gone before the end of June down here before, I'm sure.

It's just you, according to your username
:D

it was so late here june before it came out but saw bees working it though

It seems to be lasting longer certainly. Rumours of another batch of cordial and maybe champagne IF we get a dry morning in the next few days...

Is it just me or has no one else noticed elder flowering this late before?

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed this year like no other in living memory?

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed this year like no other in living memory?

You don't remember the summer of '86 then? A volcano erupted in Columbia the year before and the ash cloud ruined our summer......hay and crops rotting in the fields, this year is heading that way, but modern farming will hopefully prevent some of the disasters.

Also June 2007 had my field badly flooded.......it's just very muddy at the moment, the river is some way off being over the banks.

Frisbee

You don't remember the summer of '86 then?

Lots of them. But never a year, as in the whole year (because, so far it has beeen unique) or the last year, as in twelve months .OK the summer months were OKish after May, but the autumn was differnet to the norm, the winter was short , spring arrived a month or more too early and then it returned to more like winter weather for two months and hasn't been sogood in JUne either.

The point of my post, if you had missed it, was that it is not really surprising, given our weather this year, that things are running differently. Lets face it, the OSR had never come into bloom so early and lasted so long, while yielding very little nectar until the last week - when the weather suddenly warmed. Def youneek!

I was remarking only yesterday that Elder is still in flower around here

Only started flowering nearby in the last couple of days, humming with bees this afternoon but raining again now :(

Going to go and pick some later this evening if it clears up again. Here's a lucky shot with an iPhone.

-

Just thought I'd complete my observation, a little late though. We still had a few flowers on the elder in the 3rd week of August! along with the few berries that werent smoiched by the wind/rain.

Spotted some comming out in flower as I drove home today. Looks like a secondary batch of flowers as it wasn't there last week.

Myself and the wife were out collecting elder berries the other day for jam, chutney and wine making and were surprised to see a lot of elder trees laden with berries and starting to flower again .. very strange indeed :)

My Rowan tree in the garden started flowering again last week. It has new flowers and berries from the spring flowering on the same branches. Very odd.

Yep, all very strange, noticed elders in 2 areas 5 miles apart flowering again over the last 2 days. not a huge amount of flowers but still flowers.

Latest posts

Back