EFB

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hedgerow Honey

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
173 national & 100 commercial
Anyone know where the outbreak is centred in the Mold area of N Wales.
I have received an NBU alert for an old apiary that was stolen from me on the edge of Llandegla.

Jumping on your thread

had notification about two of my sites Hambledon and Denmead
Hants

Jumping on your thread

Well, if we're doing that, I've just this evening had notification of EFB within 3km of home. Not for my other sites south of here and someone I know to the north west hasn't had a notification so somewhere to the north east sounds like a reasonable guess. Somewhere like Lydeard St Lawrence.

James

The trick is to get a list of notifications from you and your mates apiaries and triangulate. You can normally get close to the outbreak epicentre.

There's a page on bee base that lists the outbreaks by 10 km square, Beebase - Beekeeping information resource for Beekeepers to get any deeper into the location you'd probably need to talk to your local bee inspector, although you may come up against the GDPR and they can't tell you much.

That doesn't seem to have any that would cover my 10km square despite the warning I received yesterday. It looks as though it doesn't include any figures for July so far, so perhaps that's why.

James

The trick is to get a list of notifications from you and your mates apiaries and triangulate. You can normally get close to the outbreak epicentre.

Yes we did this but person who lives between myself and other beek who has been notified hasn't had notification
I suspect they aren't on beebase.....

Yes we did this but person who lives between myself and other beek who has been notified hasn't had notification
Or there are 2 local outbreaks which are away from the guy who hasn’t been notified? :unsure:

Seriously tempted to buy electric auto weighing for my hive at home to see if when the hive puts on weight it us humid, first thing in the morning etc to see how the lime harvest goes. Can't afford the equipment with the uncertain in the economy however; tightening our belts and putting the price of a hat of honey up too.

As you know they have not been notified why not have a serious friendly chat about it and see if they can register themselves.

Just had a second notification of EFB within 3km of my apiary, the last notification was just over a month ago.

If it was six weeks ago it may be the same site that has been reinspected by the SBI to give it a clean bill of health. If they find EFB again they send out another notification.

Latest posts

Back