Early inspection

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highlander

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
This is the first time I have been able to open my hives this early in the year. Previous years work and / or weather have prevented it happening until April. All have a queen from last year but non have any brood or eggs. Usually in April things have started to build up but that was 1 month later. would it be normal to expect brood now? I live in the highlands of Scotland so everything is later up here eg crocus only just flowering now. Thanks for advise.

Early inspection is possible if you not lift brood frames much away from the heat if the hive.

How is your willows' blooming?

Take couple of food frames off from side and then only move frames inside the box.

What you look there is

- worker brood present. Do not seek queen if worker brood is ok.
- how much food frames and capped stores.

Willows are just showing buds but are a couple of weeks from blooming.

We had a really warm day yesterday so I took frames out and saw queens but there was no brood in any of my 4 hives. As I said I usually inspect in April and there is always brood then. I thought that there would be a little brood now and was surprised not to find any!

Willows are just showing buds but are a couple of weeks from blooming.

We had a really warm day yesterday so I took frames out and saw queens but there was no brood in any of my 4 hives. As I said I usually inspect in April and there is always brood then. I thought that there would be a little brood now and was surprised not to find any!

Now you have a splended opportunity to give oxalic acid trickling.

So you have situation, that the colony does not have protein to start rear any brood. IT starts at once when it gets pollen.

They have been collecting pollen from crocus flowers over the weekend. Hope the hives are full of brood at the next inspection which I will be doing in a few weeks time - no rush, they have loads of room and plenty of stores so I will leave them to get on with raising lots of new workers for the year.

Back