Drawing foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dared

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
now 6!
When is the best time to have the bees draw comb as I find this early in the season they focus on drone cells rather than worker cells.

Also for supers is there any advantage in using the larger sized drone cells over the traditional worker sized cells?

Last edited:
While honey can be spun out easier from drone cells and the bees don't store pollen in drone cells I wouldn't recommend it as queens sometimes manage (usually with the accidental help of the beekeeper!!) to get in the supers and then you end up with lots and lots of drone brood in your honey combs. Also I have noticed that if a comb has both drone and worker cells present the bees seem more reluctant to put the honey in the drone cells.

Also, if you intend showing either a frame of honey or cut comb (or are selling cut comb) drone cells don't look half as good - with anything but the lighter honey the white cappings are marred by the darker honey showing through around the edges.

Latest posts

Back