Plastic Frame and foundation - Thoughts please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willkats

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Is anyone currently using the plastic frames and foundation from Frames and feeders? or any other supplier?
What are your thoughts on it? The youtube video shows that the bees take longer to draw the comb out but I guess once done it should be good for a lot longer.
Do you find that the increased cost is worth it over time considering the cost of replacement foundation and your time spent?

i have the plastic foundation ..not the full frame ones .im getting rid of them .my bees just dont like them
no matter how i melt the wax on..yellow superones. the black brood ones i just got to try the
bees build wild comb every ware..so they will be going soon...back to what you no works ...for me...

Hi
I have both brood and super frames.
The super is fab light coat of wax all is good. Saying that I have one hive that decided to put pollen and lots of it in the supers this year. Don’t know how I’ll store that. The brood frames it’s a hit or a miss, sometimes the frames are beautifully drawn and sometimes one side is perfect drawn and the other not.
Another disadvantage you can’t stick the queen of thornes or the nicot queen cage introduction. The wax doesn’t get drawn out then it hits the plastic.
Hope this helps

Plastic frames I’ve found are a pain, they twist. Plastic foundation can get drawn well but you generally need a decent flow. They’ve been around for years but not really caught on and that may be a answer in itself!

Latest posts

Back