Dr.P Stoffen queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems the shipment of invertebrates is agreed internationally by the UPUC where permitted
DHL 's own terms and conditions refer to it.

"Shipments containing live animals or human remains with the exception of invertebrates where permitted under the provisions of the UPUC such as queen bees"

Couldn't be much clearer or specific than that !
I've passed on the info to them.

Who's the Dutch supplier please? I can make out the German details but can't see the other one.
Are they the standard open mated queens from http://www.imkerei-krauter.de?

This is a bit :offtopic: since this thread is about Buckfasts but I'll answer your question.

I am a member of the Dutch BeeBreed working group (www.beebreed.nl) so I have access to queens bred by the group that aren't commercially available. We aim to include ~ 1/3 of other breeders queens in our own test groups so these are control-mated queens that came from another breeder in the group.
I prefer the absolute certainty that comes from II or island-mated queens so trying Herr Krauters bees were a bit of an experiment for me. They were, however, recommended to me by another breeder in the group who assessed them last year. He found 95% hygienic behaviour. However, since receiving the bees, I have received an email from Herr Krauter saying that a Buckfast beekeeper has encroached upon the legally protected area near the Meileneiche mating station. The Police are involved. So, I will test them next year but never use them as 2a queen mothers (although their drones may still be useful). If I see any signs of corruption, I will report it to Prof Brascamp who leads the BeeBreed.nl group. For clarity, I should say that Herr Krauter provided the information as soon as he became aware of it. Herr Teisler, who is the German national breeding co-ordinator, was also informed so appropriate steps could be taken. For me, this re-affirms why I chose to only use II or island mated queens.

Last edited:
. However, since receiving the bees, I have received an email from Herr Krauter saying that a Buckfast beekeeper has encroached upon the legally protected area near the Meileneiche mating station. The Police are involved. ...

Thanks for the reply, interesting. Imagine this forum if there were similar legally protected areas in the UK.......

It seems the shipment of invertebrates is agreed internationally by the UPUC where permitted
DHL 's own terms and conditions refer to it.

"Shipments containing live animals or human remains with the exception of invertebrates where permitted under the provisions of the UPUC such as queen bees"

Couldn't be much clearer or specific than that !
I've passed on the info to them.

And this page on UPS.com even specifies how bees should be packaged for shipment:

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-cent..._pos=1&srch_phr=bee+shipments#contentBlock-15

Perhaps there are different rules in different countries.

Thanks for the reply, interesting. Imagine this forum if there were similar legally protected areas in the UK.......

That's a whole other topic. I am sure there would be some who supported the idea and others who didn't, depending on where they kept their bees.
I would say that having control-mated queens has been a revelation to me. They are far better than anything else I have seen.

And this page on UPS.com even specifies how bees should be packaged for shipment:

I think we can assume that the Buckfast breeders mentioned don't want to ship their queens via these carriers for reasons other than the ones they give.
It is clearly an erroneous claim to say the shippers (DHL or UPS) don't allow it.

I think we can assume that the Buckfast breeders mentioned don't want to ship their queens via these carriers for reasons other than the ones they give.
It is clearly an erroneous claim to say the shippers (DHL or UPS) don't allow it.

Erroneous it certainly appears to be but we have no reason to doubt that this is the information he has been given. I doubt any wishes not to use them would extend to the kind of income losses sending out multiple queens and then issuing refunds for their untimely demise has caused them just amongst posters here.

Colonsay and Oronsay

Hardly comparable to the European breeding reserves, nor is the isle of man. Their varroa free status makes it impossible for them to be used in the same way.

For some inexplicable reason, UPS, DHL, Fedex etc all class live bees as dangerous goods in the UK, as far as outbound and inbound international shipments are concerned.

All of the above will carry live bees out of other destinations such as the US, Australia, New Zealnd , Canada and South America.

Indeed, there are specific provisions with in their terms and conditions to do so.
It's just the single minded belligerent mindset of the DG managers sitting in the management offices within the UK, that prevent them carrying stock in and out of the UK.

Jobs worths !

For some inexplicable reason, UPS, DHL, Fedex etc all class live bees as dangerous goods in the UK, as far as outbound and inbound international shipments are concerned.

All of the above will carry live bees out of other destinations such as the US, Australia, New Zealnd , Canada and South America.

Indeed, there are specific provisions with in their terms and conditions to do so.

It's just the single minded belligerent mindset of the DG managers sitting in the management offices within the UK, that prevent them carrying stock in and out of the UK.

Jobs worths !
Very frustrating!

Just had my Keld Island mated queen delivered and it was only 1 day less than Dr P's selected breeder took.

1 big difference though.

It came in a ventilated box and the bees/queens looked perfect.

Dr P's came in a cardboard packet with no ventilation.

I reckon that's what killed them. Too hot..No enough air flow and they have overheated.

Such an oversight from a sizeable outfit!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

don't want to ship their queens via these carriers for reasons other than the ones they give.

Having heard what DHL did to KFC, I think it's pretty self explanatory!

If they shipped via DHL next day, you'd probably find they would arrive crushed flat or get tucked away in -25 for a week!

Still can't help thinking it's German arrogance or their antique infrastructure that's at fault?

Very frustrating!

Just had my Keld Island mated queen delivered and it was only 1 day less than Dr P's selected breeder took.

1 big difference though.

It came in a ventilated box and the bees/queens looked perfect.

Dr P's came in a cardboard packet with no ventilation.

I reckon that's what killed them. Too hot..No enough air flow and they have overheated.

Such an oversight from a sizeable outfit!

Really? Both my packages from Stoefen were ventilated

Really? Both my packages from Stoefen were ventilated
Mine wasnt.

Just a flat (1cm max) cardboard packet with no holes or anything.

Fit straight the letter box. No signature required.

Keld one was a 50mm ventilated box with the cage taped to the interior it couldn't shake around. Plenty of air and ventilation to make the journey easier on them.

Jobs worths !

Its not just the UK, Germany too . They'll move bees by lorry internally, but not by air . Apparently there was incidents of queen packages attracting bees, so by airplane it's a no go.
I got this email yesterday.

Dear Stuart,

I have checked it. And talked to the DHL head of Northern Germany.

DHL and DHL express are two different companies in the same group.
DHL allows to ship queens NATIONAL.
The are transported by trucks. (We use this inside Germany. Excellent)

DHL Express allows queens in national transports (trucks!) but does not allow queens in international transports, because they use planes for the transport and are afraid that the queens attract other beens to hop on the planes.

Last year in May we got over 100 packages back when they noticed that there were queens inside. You can imagine what kind of trouble this was....

If you ship not allowed thinks with them and they notice it you are in big trouble.

It would be very helpful, if you could spread this information inside UK beekeepers. All breeders who are using dhl express or gls for example for international transports risk, that the parcel will be destroyed or send back. If something happend you are responsible.
If there are still some companies using dhl express for the transport of queens they just have not been caught....

Shipping quite a lot of queens year by year we have to operate on the legal side. Normally it takes 2-3 days to UK, what is quite good.

For different countries you get information here:

https://www.deutschepost.de/de/b/briefe-ins-ausland/laenderinformationen.html

This is what I can say to shippings to UK.
And this is how we will ship our queens until dhl express allows us to ship queens.
(By the way: These are the international rules for all carriers using airfreight)

Stuart, thanks for your input.

Best regards, Jens

Keld one was a 50mm ventilated box with the cage taped to the interior it couldn't shake around. Plenty of air and ventilation to make the journey easier on them.

My KB queen was similarly packaged. The cage lid had come off during the journey, so the bees were roaming about inside the ventilated cardboard box when it arrived. All the bees were still alive, however, which I doubt would have been the case if the cage had just been inside a padded envelope.

Caused a few moments panic when I opened the box in the kitchen though.:eek:

Its not just the UK, Germany too . They'll move bees by lorry internally, but not by air . Apparently there was incidents of queen packages attracting bees, so by airplane it's a no go.

Well, DHL express happily took my money for express delivery (https://www.dhl.co.uk/content/gb/en/express/tracking.shtml?AWB=9376711444&brand=DHL ). They are happy. I am happy. As far as I can see, there isn't a problem.
I was a bit curious why the package arrived at Luton Airport (~20 minutes drive from me) but was routed down to Heathrow (~90 minutes drive from me on a clear run, but when is it ever?) then came back to me by truck. I understand, from what people have said on here, that consolidation means some facilities are closed/only open during certain hours. It's inefficient but I suppose if thats the way it is, so be it.

Latest posts

Back