Dr.P Stoffen queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A queen I ordered from Keld Branstrup arrived this morning. Posted on Monday, so 48 hours from Denmark vs 5 days from Germany. Looks like Deutsche Post is the weak link.

I'm not sure it is, my new queens tracking states that Deutsche post handed it over on Tuesday. Right enough it now appears on royal mail's tracking but isn't in the UK yet according to them.

I'm not sure it is, my new queens tracking states that Deutsche post handed it over on Tuesday. Right enough it now appears on royal mail's tracking but isn't in the UK yet according to them.

Mine was like that for three days. Posted on Monday, "leaving the country" on Tuesday, then nothing until Friday morning when it had arrived at Heathrow International Distribution (or something like that). Heathrow to me took 24 hours, delivered Saturday.

Seems mine is following the same cycle. Handed over at the international logistics centre Monday night but not yet left Germany. Something not right here.

Dead on arrival after 7 days in the mail 5of them sat at the airport.

Dead on arrival after 7 days in the mail 5of them sat at the airport.
Similar to mine.

he must be losing so much money!

Such a shame

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

That's cutbacks, most PPD's (Customs mail depots) have been closed so whichever airport they land in, it has to go to the main hub in Coventry for examination/clearance plus a great tranche of staff have been taken off normal duties and seconded to Brexit preparations

That's cutbacks, most PPD's (Customs mail depots) have been closed so whichever airport they land in, it has to go to the main hub in Coventry for examination/clearance plus a great tranche of staff have been taken off normal duties and seconded to Brexit preparations

Not sure its UK related actually, in this instance.

Mine took 6 days to arrive. It arrived at Heathrow at 3am on the 6th day and was delivered by 10am, the same day.

Sat in Germany for 5 days prior to its flight over.

I've had that conversation and would have played the €50 or whatever. He's adamant that there is no courier that permits bees to be sent.

Its not the UK side that's the problem, they're not leaving Germany for 5 days. Then it's Heathrow, Chester and to the door in under 48hrs.
Same thing has happened to those in France waiting on queens too

Its not the UK side that's the problem, they're not leaving Germany for 5 days. Then it's Heathrow, Chester and to the door in under 48hrs.
Same thing has happened to those in France waiting on queens too

I concur. I ordered a queen from Keld Brandstrup which was delivered by post from Denmark to Wales in 2 days.

I concur. I ordered a queen from Keld Brandstrup which was delivered by post from Denmark to Wales in 2 days.
Hmmm.

I've just ordered one from Keld.

Dispatched on Sunday. Still not in the UK.

Sigh!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Pretty clear what they are then....thanks for the clarification.

I suppose that means my bees fly here themselves then.
I received 2 from Germany via DHL on 2nd July (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D-dgUK9XYAAPFYl?format=jpg&name=small ) and 7 from the Netherlands yesterday via UPS (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D_r0G3LXUAA0uW-?format=jpg&name=small )

I told him about yours , he said they have been sent in breach of DHL 's rules. And that it would be up to the individual breeder if that and the risk of a fine was worth it .
They are apparently in talks with DHL now to get the rules changed.

I told him about yours , he said they have been sent in breach of DHL 's rules. And that it would be up to the individual breeder if that and the risk of a fine was worth it .
They are apparently in talks with DHL now to get the rules changed.

I can't explain it. It seems pretty clear to me that there are live bees inside the box but they seem to turn a "blind eye" to the policy.
From what I've read, DHL accepts the boxes of mating nucs (ewk - https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/album.php?albumid=751&pictureid=3753 ) and takes them to the islands from all over Germany. These are quite big, heavy boxes and it is obvious what is inside.

Added: All of this discussion has made me curious. I went to check what the Royal Mail policy is (https://www.royalmail.com/sites/def...s-nov-23-2018---23410530_updated April 19.pdf ). It seems that they have no problem with insects so long as they are properly caged and marked so the animals don't suffer while in transit. That seems perfectly sensible to me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back