Dr.P Stoffen queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The variation in the group I tested from Freidrichskoog was far beyond that (one had almost twice the number of boxes that the others had). That one colony needed more of my time than all the others combined.

There you go.... lots of variation in your Carnica breeding groups.

Freidrichskoog is the apiary in Germany that Peter Stofen uses. It's a peninsular (not an island) where you can only keep Buckfast by law.

Yes, some nice arial pictures of it on his web site.

Yes, some nice arial pictures of it on his web site.

If you understand that I was talking about the Buckfast mating station at Freidrichskoog, why did you say the variation was high in carnica then? It was obvious that I was talking about Peter Stofens Buckfast

If you understand that I was talking about the Buckfast mating station at Freidrichskoog, why did you say the variation was high in carnica then? It was obvious that I was talking about Peter Stofens Buckfast

B+ are you having a "senior moment"?

I was talking about YOUR Carnica, not Peter's. You seemed to be implying that there was little variation in them compared to Peter's station mated Buckfast from many years ago. So I naturally asked how did you select if there was no variation, a question you answered by describing a substantial variation in some of your Carnica stock
Which answered my question that there is natural variation in Carnics, just as there is in Buckfast.
It's got a name as well...it's called "Population genetics".

B+ are you having a "senior moment"?

I was talking about YOUR Carnica, not Peter's. You seemed to be implying that there was little variation in them compared to Peter's station mated Buckfast from many years ago. So I naturally asked how did you select if there was no variation, a question you answered by describing a substantial variation in some of your Carnica stock
Which answered my question that there is natural variation in Carnics, just as there is in Buckfast.
It's got a name as well...it's called "Population genetics".

Not at all. You seemed to be implying that there was more variation in carnica than I observed in my test of Buckfast vs 2 different carnica lines side-by side.
Yes, I grant you that this was several years ago. I wouldn't perform the same test every year when I have already answered the question.
My point was that there was so much variation in the Buckfast full-sibs that the carnica full-sibs were much more homogeneous.
Yes, there is always variation. Even in 1:1 insemination (1 queen:1drone) because the queens egg can contain small variation. However, that is intra-colony and not the same as the inter-colony variation I am talking of. I didn't say population genetics because that can apply at different levels. I was attempting to convey the variation between one member(colony) and the others which was significantly different. Having such a large difference implies that the group is not homogeneous and, therefore, the population genetics models don't apply.

Last edited:
My Peter Stofen queen also arrived on Saturday after spending 5 days in the post - 3 days between Germany and UK apparently. She and all attendants were alive and very active. I placed her into a nuc on Saturday evening with the plastic cap still intact on the cage. I removed the cap on Sunday. Will check if she is released this evening after work.

Pleased to report my Stofen queen is released from her cage and seems to be enjoying life in her new home. She is marked with a numbered (54) green plastic disk. Found her on a brood comb acting like she had been there forever. Will check for eggs at the weekend.

Pleased to report my Stofen queen is released from her cage and seems to be enjoying life in her new home. She is marked with a numbered (54) green plastic disk. Found her on a brood comb acting like she had been there forever. Will check for eggs at the weekend.

Congratulations.
My 2 carnica are doing well too. They're already laying eggs.
I have 7 more coming next week - these are from NL though

I'm very jealous.

Green 67 is dead and in my kitchen bin :(

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Not sure this is indicative of their normal service.

Others seem to have got their queens with no issues.

Quite, the German post office quotes 2.1 days as their average.

Peter Stofen claims that DHL Express . . . .won't accept live animals including bees any more,

I wouldn't trust DHL with delivering anything, look what they did to KFC!
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-08/kfc-strips-dhl-of-some-chicken-deliveries-after-u-k-disruptions
:svengo:
the German post office quotes 2.1 days as their average.

Not sure this is indicative of their normal service.

Although bundespost looks to be even worse than the Royal Mail?

Last edited:
A queen I ordered from Keld Branstrup arrived this morning. Posted on Monday, so 48 hours from Denmark vs 5 days from Germany. Looks like Deutsche Post is the weak link.

A queen I ordered from Keld Branstrup arrived this morning. Posted on Monday, so 48 hours from Denmark vs 5 days from Germany. Looks like Deutsche Post is the weak link.
Can I ask when did you place your order?

Was it the island mated or the breeder quee n?

Can I ask when did you place your order?

Was it the island mated or the breeder quee n?

I ordered her on 9th April and asked for delivery 2nd week of July, so pretty good service.

I ordered an II queen.

Yes that's very good indeed.

Tempted to order an island mated but dont want to.order now for september delivery but I assume the are over subscribed

Yes that's very good indeed.

Tempted to order an island mated but dont want to.order now for september delivery but I assume the are over subscribed

Costs nothing to ask.

Can't wait for mine, will be dispatched next Monday.[emoji7]

Sent from my SM-J710F using Tapatalk

Better to phone him, he speaks good English

Sent from my SM-J710F using Tapatalk
Thanks for the tip.

Will do that.

cheers

Latest posts

Back