Doubts about Abel’s Ashforth type feeder

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are good... using 40 have just ordered another 20!
eBay item number:

The Ashforth feeder assembly line hit a work force problem... but this winter....
Have a dozen or so old Millar feeders that fit WBC boxes... all in use.

Yeghes da

I put a rapid feeder on one hive, they barely touched it for a fortnight and then BAM they've found the free bar...…..

Was it simply sugar and water? What I did when I made up HM Thymol recipe was a few drops of lemongrass oil. On all my hives that are fed; when I check the next evening all the feed is usually gone.

Angry...you only have a few hives (no disrespect intended)..... I find about 1 out of 20 ignore a feeder. Some do need to be encouraged. The majority love it.
Some are unlucky in that their sole hive is one of the ignorers.

View attachment 16014

This is the modification I’ve done.

Courty

Yes, The Abelo crown boards’ feeder holes are much larger than the round rapid feeders’ funnel entrance.

Instead of filling the vacant space in the rapid feeder with cork, just cut a hole of the right size in a piece of strong plastic, and place on the CB over the feeder hole.

However, I’ve never had to do that. The bees always find their way into the feeder if they want syrup.

Success!

Yesterday evening I put the feeder with corks in place over the hole as before, with 2:1 syrup and made sure it was liberally spread on both sides of the funnel and also on the corks, I let one sliver of cork stand slightly proud in case the space was an issue.
This evening I checked and there are plenty of bees in the feeder with a much lower level.
Maybe they just needed some bigger clues and encouragement? I can see this bee malarkey is going to be quite a puzzle from time to time.

Courty

I can see this bee malarkey is going to be quite a puzzle from time to time.

Courty

Well done. Yes, they like to keep you guessing but it’s extremely satisfying when you find the solution and everything starts to work as it should. Beekeeping is never boring!! 😊

Update

I did a hive inspection today and discovered that I had put the Abelo poly crown board on upside down. I don’t know if this would have made any difference, the recess between the edge and the board looks similar on each side, the main difference is that the holes are chamfered on the top where the poly discs are seated. I’d removed the plastic grills.
There was an inch and a half of brace comb filled with syrup between the top of two frames and the cork I’d put in the gap around the feeder entrance funnel.
I took this off.
The bees have been emptying the feeder at a fast rate and storing it, they have also drawn the inside faces of two frames of foundation and capped it with what is presumably stored syrup.
This is 17 days later.
I no longer have any doubts about this feeder!

Courty

You've probably already got all the answers you want. This looks like a standard rapid feeder and shouldn't give any bother at all - no need for the cork. I use this pattern on all my hives. If they want the syrup they'll take it, but if they're not interested or unimpressed then they won't ...

You've probably already got all the answers you want. This looks like a standard rapid feeder and shouldn't give any bother at all - no need for the cork. I use this pattern on all my hives. If they want the syrup they'll take it, but if they're not interested or unimpressed then they won't ...

What are the consequences of forgetting to take the rapid feeder full of syrup off if the girls have not sipped it all up, ie leaving on over winter??

What are the consequences of forgetting to take the rapid feeder full of syrup off if the girls have not sipped it all up, ie leaving on over winter??

None. Some =ealry stimulative feed already present :)

Still trying to figure why Courtney had a crown board between the brood box and the feeder....Ashforth type feeders go directly on to the hives minus the crownboard..

His decription is not of an Ashworth feeder .. he's got a rapid feeder I think.

Perhaps a read of the original thread title started by Courtney may help you...it's called "Doubts about Abel’s Ashforth type feeder".
We will forgive the omission of an "o".

feeder.jpg

Perhaps a read of the original thread title started by Courtney may help you...it's called "Doubts about Abel’s Ashforth type feeder".
We will forgive the omission of an "o".

Yes that’s what he’s put but then goes on to describe a round rapid feeder and at the end of his post is a picture of a white plastic rapid feeder. Hence the reason he had a crown board on with a feeder hole open
I’m sure he’s ok though. He’s had nearly two and a half years to think about it.

Last edited:
Yes that’s what he’s put but then goes on to describe a round rapid feeder and at the end of his post is a picture of a white plastic rapid feeder. Hence the reason he had a crown board on with a feeder hole open
I’m sure he’s ok though. He’s had nearly two and a half years to think about it.

:D

Doesn't time fly when you are doing the thing one enjoys most ?

A couple of years pondering - gone in a flash !

Latest posts

Back