Doubts about Abel’s Ashforth type feeder

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Courty

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I’m having doubts about the feeder I bought from Abelo, it’s the Ashforth style rapid feeder, I’m not sure how to add photos yet but I’ll try. It’s the round Tupperware type where you can refill without bees getting out and the bees should climb up a funnel and then go down under a cup to the syrup.
In the nuc, I had an inverted takeaway tub with small holes and also tried the lid cut out like a ramp, they quickly emptied them.
When I transferred them to the Abelo National hive I changed to the Abelo feeder over the round hole and they didn’t touch it. I dribbled some syrup through and apart from seeing one be in it, they still didn’t touch it in two weeks. I took it out to clean the mould forming on the top.
My concern is that the central funnel is much narrower than the hole in the Abelo crown board, the design is such that if they crawl from the underside of the crown board, they go up the outside of the funnel, which is a dead end.
Is it too hard for them to get up?
Of course, they may not want it but I’m surprised they don’t touch it at all.
I’ve stuck some cork in the gap around the funnel entrance to bridge the gap, and see what happens.
Has anyone used the Abelo crown board hole and their feeder without any problems?
C8834E7B-A620-44B6-B98B-3D9888D3CF47.jpeg

Courty

Pic of added corks as a bridge

7029C36B-BCB8-4806-B23D-72B058F88E3B.jpg
This is the modification I’ve done.
Courty

Courty;643061 Has anyone used the Abelo crown board hole and their feeder without any problems? Courty[/QUOTE said:
Yes, many times. No problems.

I’m having doubts about the feeder I bought from Abelo, it’s the Ashforth style rapid feeder, I’m not sure how to add photos yet but I’ll try. It’s the round Tupperware type where you can refill without bees getting out and the bees should climb up a funnel and then go down under a cup to the syrup.
In the nuc, I had an inverted takeaway tub with small holes and also tried the lid cut out like a ramp, they quickly emptied them.
When I transferred them to the Abelo National hive I changed to the Abelo feeder over the round hole and they didn’t touch it. I dribbled some syrup through and apart from seeing one be in it, they still didn’t touch it in two weeks. I took it out to clean the mould forming on the top.
My concern is that the central funnel is much narrower than the hole in the Abelo crown board, the design is such that if they crawl from the underside of the crown board, they go up the outside of the funnel, which is a dead end.
Is it too hard for them to get up?
Of course, they may not want it but I’m surprised they don’t touch it at all.
I’ve stuck some cork in the gap around the funnel entrance to bridge the gap, and see what happens.
Has anyone used the Abelo crown board hole and their feeder without any problems?
View attachment 16010

Courty

Yes
Most of the round feeders you describe have the recess you describe. If the bees want syrup they cross it. You have removed the mesh disc from the hole?

Yes, I removed the mesh. I also ran a syrup trail down the funnel. Maybe I needed to make the trail more obvious? I’ll be a bit more liberal when th it when I put it back in.
I’m surprised that if one bee managed to find it, the others didn’t catch on. I’ll also make up some more syrup and keep it in a different bottle. The one I used had had black currant cordial in it before. I washed it out thoroughly but there was still a faint purple stain on the inside of the plastic. Maybe that affected it in some way?
Or maybe my bees are a bit dim???

Courty

Feeder

Dribble a teaspoon of warm honey down the funnel. That may encourage them.
Also gently warm the syrup a few degrees before feeding.

I fitted a short mesh tunnel to the hive last night, and reduced the entrance to one bee space because they seemed to be suffering from robbing bees as well as constant wasp visits. This morning there were loads of bees with pollen steadily working out how to get back in the hive, plenty coming and going so I decided to let them feed the natural way while they can.
I’m doing an inspection next week with a more experienced keeper, I may try the feeder again depending on how it looks, and leave an easier trail when I do so.

Courty

By the way, you seem to be confusing what is called a rapid feeder with an Abelo's Ashford feeder.
This is Abelo's Ashford feeder.

feeder-600x600.jpg

By the way, you seem to be confusing what is called a rapid feeder with an Abelo's Ashford feeder.
This is Abelo's Ashford feeder.

These type of feeders are all rapid feeders, the other type is a contact feeder.

They are called Ashforth feeders, not Ashford.

I've never found a problem with the type of feeder shown by the OP, either with an Abelo poly crown board or the usual wooden variety, save for having to shake bees out of the funnel when I come to remove an empty one. I like Courty's solution, but I don't drink enough to be able to try it this autumn

Is your crown board immediately above the top of the frames? I wondered if you have a gap between the frames and the crownboard, perhaps because you are treating with apiguard. If there is a gap there, the bees can find it more difficult to reach the feeder.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
I just cut all my crown board holes the same size as the feeder hole and draw a circle round the feeder in permanent ink

I just cut all my crown board holes the same size as the feeder hole and draw a circle round the feeder in permanent ink

I always put mine slightly of set of the hole in the crown board.. so any bees that get trapped once the roof is on find there way back into the hive through a little gap..

I like Courty's solution, but I don't drink enough to be able to try it this autumn
Good one! I use corks for a non-alcoholic hobby so it wasn’t too much trouble.

The crown board does create a gap above the top of the frames, however there were bees on it when I took it off so it shouldn’t be that difficult, and seeing as others don’t have problems, I wonder what it is. I could leave a cork slightly proud perhaps.

I would have expected others to have had this problem already if it was a fault in the design.

Courty

Good one! I use corks for a non-alcoholic hobby so it wasn’t too much trouble.

The crown board does create a gap above the top of the frames, however there were bees on it when I took it off so it shouldn’t be that difficult, and seeing as others don’t have problems, I wonder what it is. I could leave a cork slightly proud perhaps.

I would have expected others to have had this problem already if it was a fault in the design.

Courty

Non alcoholic hobby!:hairpull:

Courty
Its a fault with the bees. Some hives find feeders and use them immediately, some don't.
There will be a reason... but it's not obvious.
All the different feeders work (most of the time).

Latest posts

Back