Dont slack on the protection!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had a good look at the pics now and as far as I can see the only place the bees are trying to sting is on the gloves, the sweatbands, and maybe the front of the veil?
To me, and please take this purely as constuctive critisism It seems they dont look like particularly aggressive bees, but rather a big colony of intimidating bees. if they WERE aggresive as I said earlier you'd be in a pretty bad way!

If you are waving two dark objects over the hive they are going to get wound up, added to that they then find when they go for the black things they get caught, which undestandibly would make them act defensively and sting. Also the height of that colony is bringing the open top of the colony close to your face....allowing your breathe to be close to an already unhappy colony. not exactly calming things.

I have a colony that pours out to see whats going on, but its not aggressive.

I'd deffo ditch the sweatbands, and the dark gloves, why black? if its because they are cheap then surely they do them in light colours too? Just about the only stings were in the sweatbands. If they meant business, stings would have been EVERYWHERE!

Hope I dont come across as negative, its not intentional just cant see the point in the bees dying to save a couple of bob, just get a light pair of gloves and a pair of gauntlets as hivemaker said.....bet they will act a lot better then....I HOPE!!! :D

The fuzzy sweatband could be the reason that they kept attacking the area, the bees would get caught in that material, feel trapped/threatened and the result you can see in the last pic. Once a few bees start getting caught in things, the alarm pheromone goes a long way into inciting the rest of them to follow suit.

My first thoughts too Roy
I remember on my Basic Bee keepers course being warned not to wear thick woolen socks for the same reason. Once a Bee gets caught in the wool the alarm pheromone acts as a marker for the other Bees.

I ended up buying a pair of elasticated cotton gauntlets to slip over my wrist area.

I think the biggest lesson here for me is how quickly a situation like this can develop: no time to change what gear you are wearing, or to close up the hive and move away.

Better make sure I wear the proper gear ALL the time - not assume I'll get polite warning first and be able to adapt to what's going on.

Thanks for the advice, Rosti.

FG

PS might be a beekeeper again soon :)

Some posters are missing the facts as set out in post #1.

The video shows the owners of the left hand hive suddenly stream out and go for me! At this point the left hand hive had been lightly smoked but hadn't even been touched.

That seems to me to be indicative of potentially feisty bees. I have colony like that but of late they are calmer and no particular problem (even no followers last time I inspected them! Approaching the hive from in front was enough to set them going.

That queen will be changed (shortly, now the season has finally got up and running as far as reproduction is concerned). I have another which where the bees will not stay on the frames. She will be gone, too.

I also have colonies where I do not need gloves or even a veil - nearly all the time - as they are so docile. I still wear the protective kit, because you can never tell. I swell up considerably if stung.

I tried a bottle of b**quick, as a clearer, a few years ago. Did not use it more than twice. So I tried a quick spray to my hat and rubbed it on my gloxes earlier in the season. Seemed to work, but the bees were suddenly calmer, anyway!

The trouble, of course is repeated stinging once the inital ones give off more alarm pheromone.

It is worth pointing out that a 100 bees can be as much as 1% of the honey crop lost, for what would have been their remaining lifespan. Basing that roughly on 20 thousand foragers. Not all 'honey getters' but a lot of that 20 thousand would be needed for simply feeding the hive and getting more bees in the brood. Not a very linear relationship between crop and colony numbers......

I always wear three layers of clothing for any but the most docile. Hot, but better than the swelling! Experience has shown that a determined attack can inflict stings through a couple of layers, but three moving across each other either deters, or prevents, the sting penetrating that all important 4th layer - my skin!! Not so, on the hands, of course, but fingerless gloves under have been tried successfully.

Regards, RAB

Thanks for posting this - it comes at a time when there appears to be a trend in wearing as little as possible in way of protection when dealing with Bees!!

Can I just mention, Ive noticed that the wearing of Black gloves does seems to be like a magnet to the bees - Ive watched a newbie move his hands across an open hive, only to have a stream of bees dive for his hands.

We encourage non-black gloves where possible.

An old beek told me that bees on rape can turn nasty over night.

Could this be the case here?

John D

I wonder if the beekeeper in question was alarmed by his initial experience ?.When suddenly alarmed humans will sweat - a substance that bees find offensive and will react accordingly by stinging.Also if the beekeeper walks across the front of the hive instead of approaching and smoking from the side can cause the bees to respond as described.In this instance,in my opinion, the beekeeper should have closed up and vacated the area.The use of wooly wristbands is definately a "no-no" as the bees become entangled - panic - and immediately become defensive i.e. sting.A touch of thunder in the air can also make bees edgy .If this situation re-occurs then requeen but if not just put it down to "wrong place,wrong time".

Last edited:
I'll come out of my box when I see actions so stupid as these photos and I don't care if it was to try to prove a point. I feel you should really look at what you have achieved by carrying out this type of behaviour. Nothing except show what a silly billy you are.
So you have managed to kill off over one hundred bees for what reason? No my friend you have acted irresponsibly.

Not sure if you have misunderstood the post here, from what I read the initial poster was not expecting or indeed encouraging this behaviour in order for it to be captured on photo etc. The post is merely a record of what happened during a routine inspection. Why is he irresponsible? For doing his weekly inspection? Have you missed the point here? Or do you just like throwing your weight around on the forum?

If you turn those black gloves inside out and use them they are white,if they are the marigolds.

I'm intrigued by the use of what appears to be rubberized gloves. Is this the norm in the UK as I've seen other pictures of beeks in your country using them. I would think they are somewhat unwieldy and with little feeling and also have the issue of no real seal at the wrist. A more common glove here in the US area gauntlet type that come up over the sleeve towards the elbow and have an elasticized top. The type I use are goatskin hands with a "sting proof" wrist vent and canvas gauntlet whic I paid USD14 for which I estimate is around GBP9 which I don't see as bank breaking. The goatskin is very soft and hard wearing and has quite good feeling through it. Do they not sell such items over there?
If I want even more feeling I'll use nitrile gloves (medical) hoever these tend to make your hand sweat, this can be countered by using thin cotton gloves underneath.

I'm intrigued by the use of what appears to be rubberized gloves. Is this the norm in the UK as I've seen other pictures of beeks in your country using them. I would think they are somewhat unwieldy and with little feeling and also have the issue of no real seal at the wrist. A more common glove here in the US area gauntlet type that come up over the sleeve towards the elbow and have an elasticized top. The type I use are goatskin hands with a "sting proof" wrist vent and canvas gauntlet whic I paid USD14 for which I estimate is around GBP9 which I don't see as bank breaking. The goatskin is very soft and hard wearing and has quite good feeling through it. Do they not sell such items over there?
If I want even more feeling I'll use nitrile gloves (medical) hoever these tend to make your hand sweat, this can be countered by using thin cotton gloves underneath.

many beekeepers in the UK use rubber gloves because they offer good sting protection along with the bonus of being able to be washed, unlike the leather gloves you describe.

being able to wash the gloves in between inspecting hives reduces the risk is cross contamination of diseases like AFB/EFB.

Some posters are missing the facts as set out in post #1.

The video shows the owners of the left hand hive suddenly stream out and go for me! At this point the left hand hive had been lightly smoked but hadn't even been touched.

That seems to me to be indicative of potentially feisty bees. I have colony like that but of late they are calmer and no particular problem (even no followers last time I inspected them! Approaching the hive from in front was enough to set them going.

That queen will be changed (shortly, now the season has finally got up and running as far as reproduction is concerned). I have another which where the bees will not stay on the frames. She will be gone, too.

I also have colonies where I do not need gloves or even a veil - nearly all the time - as they are so docile. I still wear the protective kit, because you can never tell. I swell up considerably if stung.

I tried a bottle of b**quick, as a clearer, a few years ago. Did not use it more than twice. So I tried a quick spray to my hat and rubbed it on my gloxes earlier in the season. Seemed to work, but the bees were suddenly calmer, anyway!

The trouble, of course is repeated stinging once the inital ones give off more alarm pheromone.

It is worth pointing out that a 100 bees can be as much as 1% of the honey crop lost, for what would have been their remaining lifespan. Basing that roughly on 20 thousand foragers. Not all 'honey getters' but a lot of that 20 thousand would be needed for simply feeding the hive and getting more bees in the brood. Not a very linear relationship between crop and colony numbers......

I always wear three layers of clothing for any but the most docile. Hot, but better than the swelling! Experience has shown that a determined attack can inflict stings through a couple of layers, but three moving across each other either deters, or prevents, the sting penetrating that all important 4th layer - my skin!! Not so, on the hands, of course, but fingerless gloves under have been tried successfully.

Regards, RAB

I have to agree with RAB's points here.

BCrazy, I am rather alarmed at your response as the point of this thread is to show what can happen. Yes a shame to see 100 or so stingers embedded but there is no need to shoot the messenger so to speak. I can't imagine for one minute the issue was intentional and, as clearly indicated, the bees were from another hive. No beekeeper would intend to get stung and we all make mistakes. The best of us learn from them. I wouldn't say the beek was silly at all.

Only points I would make, and they are constructive criticism, would be to use a manipulating cloth on the open hive and probably more smoke. It is a lesson learned - I have worn similar socks in the past and never experienced anything like this. As a relatively newbeek, I expect your own pheromones were giving off 'panic', understandably so !!

The only other thing to think about would be smelly aftershave/hair products or similar. bees like it 'au naturel' lol.

OK members perhaps I was a little over the top, Rosti I apologise. But when ever I see bad handling or stupid must battle through this to finish the inspection the blood rises.
To put a point as good as this I'm sure it could have been done without the dramatics. Your point is noted . It's all a matter of common sense.

As a relatively newbeek, I expect your own pheromones were giving off 'panic', understandably so !!

Thats a good tip there,always remember to stay calm and in control when first starting out,the bees can smell fear and will act accordingly.

OK members perhaps I was a little over the top, Rosti I apologise. But when ever I see bad handling or stupid must battle through this to finish the inspection the blood rises.
To put a point as good as this I'm sure it could have been done without the dramatics. Your point is noted . It's all a matter of common sense.

no hard feelings !:cheers2::cheers2:

I agree though - best to get a mentor if uncertain and the bees are bu**ers !

S

|am quite happy to say there have been and likely will be times again when I have shut up and walked away.

There comes a point where the damage being caused out weighs the good being done. (if any)

Common sense is in reality very rare.

PH

Latest posts

Back