Dominator, Steward, Partner, Participant?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weather here ,absolutely beautiful :)
Note on hive record card "I really must stop winding people up"
VMbee-smillie

Surely you're not that short of expletives that you can't comment without having to resort to rudeness??

Difficult to express the state of the masses as you describe them using words like "pants" or "big ladies blouses" or "having poo for brains", sort of lacks impact.

Chris

the rather snide attacks on him and his methods ("word counting" indeed!) are pretty par for the course.....

:banghead:

I do not think it's snide to ask whether an article on the ethics of any given activity displays bias in how it presents different ethical stances!

"seems to be that it's mostly the 'natural' lot who shout they are right and the rest are wrong" - is actually completely wrong - witness this thread, and the ludicrous lengths to which people will go to try to discredit (more) natural beekeeping - in my experience, it isn't us lot claiming "ours is the one and only true way"..........

Hmm, let's rewind the thread a little...

One could also add "head in the sand "

Who refuses to countenance the fact that 150 year old techniques may be lacking
Blindly follows bad advice because "it's what they all do"
Subjects the bees to intrusive and unnecessary inspections
Forces them into chemical sodden foundation, dictating cell size
Killing drone brood, because it seems like a good idea (remember all those useless tonsillectomies?)
Subject them to what is tantamount to yelling "your house is on fire" when a quiet approach or a little artificial "rain" will do the trick
Puts honey crop before the welfare of the bees
Nicks all the honey and replaces with sugar syrup
Attempts to subvert nature by suppressing swarming at all costs
Encourages disease by importing stock
Blindly pays £30 a year to the local association, ignoring the fact it adds their name and tacit support for a deeply questionable national association and it's amoral tie-up with Big Pestco..........
Becomes a "pool of disease" by giving bees no opportunity to develop natural ways of coping.......(and backing calls to kill feral colonies)
Need I go on?

I rest my case, your honour ;)

Which was posted as a direct riposte to the allegedly "devil's advocate" post entitled "reckless"....... m'lud :rofl:

Us natural beekeepers take a lot of flak for "daring to be different" so I'll happily post the odd waspish response pointing out the failings amongst some other beekeepers when there's some blatant "baiting" going on .......

Last edited:
Come come children .
Toys back in prams dummies back in mouths :)
Keep a sense of humour, it's obvious no one is going to change minds by any of this !!
The Sun is still shining at 17.19 and the bees are still going crackers without reference to this thread :grouphug:
VM

Hmmm! Is there a simile showing a can of worms?
It was hoped that this thread would engender a bit more understanding and tolerance. Nevermind!
not worthynot worthynot worthynot worthynot worthynot worthynot worthy

Hmmm! Is there a simile showing a can of worms?
It was hoped that this thread would engender a bit more understanding and tolerance. Nevermind!
not worthynot worthynot worthynot worthynot worthynot worthynot worthy
Really? I thought the whole idea of the thread was to be divisive?

He does not say that one is more defensibly ethical than any other and that we as beekeepers have a free choice to place ourselves anywhere on the spectrum between Dominator to Participant.
I feel that this attitude could go a long way to explaining the stances people have taken on this site and with other beeks I know when criticising others' methodology.

Try reading. I find it often helps.

Try reading. I find it often helps.

I did, and I found the article unnecessarily patronising & divisive, and rather overtly biased towards the writer's favoured stance. The dominator, for instance, is a shallow all-negative bogey-man whilst the participant is an all-positive role model who farts pure love and oxygen :rolleyes:

I thought that's what we were discussing...? :)

. whilst the participant is an all-positive role model who farts pure love and oxygen :rolleyes:

and I thought that forum members had to be over the age of 13.

and I thought that forum members had to be over the age of 13.

I think you've hit on a solution there. What the Forum needs is a special area for discussion of Natural Beekeeping which can only be entered after you have ticked a box to say you are over 18 and understand that the site you are entering has adult content and you may be offended.

Last edited:
I think you've hit on a solution there. What the Forum needs is a special area for discussion of Natural Beekeeping which can only be entered after you have ticked a box to say you are over 18 and understand that the site you are entering has adult content and you may be offended.

not offended just amused...

You'll be put in the corner Beeforest with the other heretics....

.....now, where's my big wooden spoon?

Chris

Beekeeper Types

I have been reviewing this thread and can see two key themes in the original post by Beeforest and the subsequent discussion. The first theme is about Why we keep bees .. from ‘It’s all about the Bees’ through to ‘It’s all about Profit’. The other theme is about How we keep our bees from ‘No Intervention’ through to ‘All over them like a Cheap Suit’ at the other extreem. As a diagram it look like ..

View attachment 6022

I have put the ‘Dominator’ type on here as an example .. but I think all of the beekeeper types are here somewhere.

I have put the ‘Dominator’ type on here as an example .. but I think all of the beekeeper types are here somewhere.

Nicely put.

I suspect if you fill them all in, you end up with a Venn diagram, and most of us are in the bit with the most hatchings.

i would imagine that most of the regulars on here would end up pretty much bang square on the intersection point.

perhaps a 5th category should be "BKFer".

edit: straight to the point personal comment deemed offensive.

Last edited:
Back