does anyone keep aggressive bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm curious to know is there anyone here who keeps bees that are more aggressive than the most common choice docile bee. Now go easy on me if I have picked this up wrong but after some reading on the internet, I've read that very aggressive bees are more inclined to produce more honey and even be better at keeping vorora mite at bay.

Its got me thinking that with mans interference, were partly the reason for this mite problem with dumbing down our bees but that's a whole other thread altogether.

What I'd like to know is there anyone on here that takes the most aggressive queens and breads from them. Reason being is that I'd be interested in having one colony with these types bees to just see how they compare to the more quieter bees.

I know I'd probably have my hands full with them but its a challenge I'd like to take up some day just to see for myself how the bees get on, thou this will be after a few years practice with the more docile bee.

I have had very aggressive bees for the last 4 years. I just haven't got around to re-queening but intend to next season. As for them producing more honey, I think that is probably a myth. I'm not an expert in genetics but I pretty sure genes do not work that way. It is an infinitely complicated science. Tying in forage ability with level of aggressiveness would be way too simple. And I can tell you my extremely aggressive bees do not bring in anywhere near as much honey as some purpose bred 'tame' ones. The two factors are not mutually exclusive

Here are my eyelids, after a sting more or less on the middle of the jaw bone!

Thanks, Ginger, that is an amazing reaction from one bee sting, powerful stuff, thank you for posting.

I don't mind wearing 2 beesuites or even a few stings on the hand..
You will be getting a lot more then a few stings on the hand i would suggest Irishguy, once you have been through a really big aggressive colony you will know that is NOT the way to go, there really is no substitute for experiences i am afraid, concentrate on getting your bees through the winter first, and if you do, enjoy your bees next year and listen to them.

The sting stayed in for several minutes until I was clear of the chasing pack and safely in the car, so it is safe to say I got maxed out on venom!

I coped a Wasp sting on the eye lid on Saturday morning when unloading the truck before going to the sales day in stockbridge, a bit painful and a little swelling for that morning then it went down leaving me with a black eye for a day but that was all, are you allergic Ginger ?

I have probably taken 10 to 12 stings over the last few years - but always on the limbs. Never been a problem. Even now I feel fine apart from the reaction!

Originally Posted by Ginger19 View Post
Here are my eyelids, after a sting more or less on the middle of the jaw bone!

Bloody hell Ginger, that looks awful. Did you use any medication to relieve the swelling?

I had a nasty colony this year and that Q is now part of the micro biotic food chain..

Get some aggressive bees then.

+ ! ... Yeh ... get some now ... You'll really enjoy them ...then you can start a thread about how you can make them easy to handle. :nono::nono::nono:

I've only experienced one aggressive colony (not mine I would add !) not a pleasant experience when a couple of thousand bees are trying to find a way to kill you .. very intimidating.

I don't know (m)any beekeepers that actually think it's worthwhile tolerating an aggressive colony for any length of time. Indeed, in ANY location keeping aggressive bees is pretty antisocial as drones and queens can fly several miles to Drone Congregation Areas so you could be affecting colonies in a radius of 10 miles.

I don't know who set you off on this particular BLIND ALLEY but for goodness sake stop listening to them ...

Ginger - be careful! You need antihistamines immediately.
I think we were thinking along the same lines Norton, a reaction like that away from the immediate sting site, albeit close would make me a little concerned, be careful Ginger, Chris

Over 3 hours now, think I am over the worst. My eyelids began itching minutes after the sting, like a tired eyes feeling - got home within 10 minutes and took a Benedryl after another 20 mins, swelling is going down slowly. Thanks for your concerns!

You could still have a severe allergic reaction up to 24 hours after the sting. If you feel unwell or any thing strange happens - go at once to ER.

I think you took a sting in the worst place ie on the head Ginger, i have herd of a lot of people who had not reacted to bee sting before only to have a bad reaction after taking a sting too the head, amount of venom plays a part as well i should think and as you said you took a full hit, this happen to my wife this year now she carries a Eppypen with her at all times, she has been stung since then on the hand, arm and leg with no reaction at all !!, just don`t take any chances

picture.php
This is a photo of my hand which was inside a leather gauntlet when I went to a hive with some cross bees. I had a glove-full of angry bees on one hand, about 12 or 14 stings made it through the leather. This was probably my least productive hive this year. Alongside this hive I have a hive of dream bees, no attempt at swarming this year, I could work them unprotected without smoke, and they were my most productive bees this year by far. My advice, don't bother with cross bees, it's not worth the bother. Far better to enjoy calm bees and send out drones from your calm hives to help your neighbouring beekeepers.

Last edited:
I have one very aggressive colony that I picked up this year as a prime swarm, the bee-keeper that they came from told me before hand that they were aggressive, my first reaction on hearing that was to start thinking about re-queening, but he had also said they were good honey producers, as they were going to be kept in my woodland, I thought I would see how they went, they were hived in a brood box that was half wax starter strips and half full foundation, plus a super of full foundation and another super with just starter strips, within 10 days they had filled the brood box three quarters, drawn out 7 frames in the first super, and around half of the top super, on the next inspection after another 7 days I needed to add another super, yes I wear two bee suits when inspecting these girls as they start dive bombing as soon as I lift the lid, we shall see how they progress next year, and whether the drones from these take priority over the drones from the other 3 hives there

picture.php

.my vale just glassed my face .now i double up every thing .queen is going next year if thy winter well...and are the same..2 day's before i could see properly..

Last edited:
Yes, little monsters, manageable, low varroa drop, no disease, good honey producers, low swarming tenancies, wasps avoid the hive like the plague, black as the ace of spades, no drifting, love them to bits.
Agressive is the wrong word for honey bees, I like the word defensive after all that's what they are doing.

Most of my aggressive bees come from nasty swarms caught in my swarm boxes, and a couple rescued from other beekeepers that were threatening the petrol can (which I strongly disagree with). Most get requeened.

I have a couple of hives that I still need to layer up with, but try and keep the numbers to a minimum.

I have one colony of dark bees saved from the petrol can a couple of years ago that is extremely grumpy. It is an enormous colony. I have split it into three to reduce the aggression, and still have not found the queen. It builds very quickly. To my knowledge, they have never swarmed.

When inspecting, they race a lot and 'tumble' down the frames leaving a big ball of bees at the bottom of the frame making it difficult to find hm. They are not enjoyable to look after, and I cull the drones.

I have not yet taken any desperate measures to find her. The only reason they still exist is they are first up in the morning, last to bed and out in all weathers. Last year was a bad year, but they brought in 160lb, while its more chilled out neighbours brought in an about 40lb (not yet totted this years totals yet!).

Also, I have never recorded a single varroa mite from the parent colony. (they dare not try!)

love them to bit's as well .love every aspect of it..glad i took the plunge...

Latest posts

Back