does anyone keep aggressive bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of my aggressive bees come from nasty swarms caught in my swarm boxes, and a couple rescued from other beekeepers that were threatening the petrol can (which I strongly disagree with). Most get requeened.

I have a couple of hives that I still need to layer up with, but try and keep the numbers to a minimum.

I have one colony of dark bees saved from the petrol can a couple of years ago that is extremely grumpy. It is an enormous colony. I have split it into three to reduce the aggression, and still have not found the queen. It builds very quickly. To my knowledge, they have never swarmed.

When inspecting, they race a lot and 'tumble' down the frames leaving a big ball of bees at the bottom of the frame making it difficult to find hm. They are not enjoyable to look after, and I cull the drones.

I have not yet taken any desperate measures to find her. The only reason they still exist is they are first up in the morning, last to bed and out in all weathers. Last year was a bad year, but they brought in 160lb, while its more chilled out neighbours brought in an about 40lb (not yet totted this years totals yet!).

Also, I have never recorded a single varroa mite from the parent colony. (they dare not try!)

Pete I'm going to try and remember this post fir when I get an out apiary, and can try to blag a Q or a test frame off you...

Last edited:
I've got a couple of angry hivesful but although in the past I have bought in Qs that were supposed to be calm it never turned out that way - so I live with the trouble and use double coveralls etc. Anybody recommend a genuine calm Q supplier please? PMs welcome.

That is very old legend and it is partly true. But with calm bees you surely get better yields.

When you cross two bee strains, they get hybrid vigour and they may get back their original habit to defend their hive.

Swarming is enemy of good yields, and hybrids get back their original swarming tendency. It is quite awfull to inspect queen cells every week from a big agressive hive.

But actually good yields come from good pastures. Good tame bees are easy to nurse and they pick splended yields. At least I have got better yields with calm bees than with agressives.

Finman is into producing lots of honey. That is his main aim from what I have seen from his posts. Therefore if aggressive bees were the answer then I would theorise logically that Finman would keep them. It appears not to be the case. To me there lies the answer.

Why Exmoor?
Anyone with those Ferrari bees (like my sister) has the propensity for aggressive bees!
Just wait till they back cross with the local drones.
I for one could not afford to requeen with new fresh imported stock every year.
My sisters husband has the funds however, he is a high earning barrister!

James

I've got a couple of angry hivesful but although in the past I have bought in Qs that were supposed to be calm it never turned out that way - so I live with the trouble and use double coveralls etc. Anybody recommend a genuine calm Q supplier please? PMs welcome.

I still believe it is luck of the draw. I have never bought a queen in in my life. Except for when I bought a full hive once. Two queen cells from the same queen can produce two totally different queens in colour and temperament, bit like children....well apart from the colour!, so I keep the nice ones and use eggs from her to put in queenless hives. If I have a really bad hive I kill the queen and combine. To be able to do this honey has not to be your main objective and you need at least five hives going in summer! Just pick and chose and get rid of the bad stuff!
E

Brother Adam wrote that although the F1 cross (his term) displyed aggressive behaviour , the F2 (again thats his term) was good

So although its not something I have tried it would seem possible that a daughter could keep the good qualities and be producing nicer bees

That wont help if the root of the problem is the local drone pool I suppose
Brother Adam was in control of his drones

One reason bad temper colonies might have a reputation of gathering good honey crops could be because they are undisturbed untill its absolutely necessary :)

When I started out I was gung-ho Irish Guy about handling bees because had only been exposed to small nucleus colonies. One large and particularly feisty colony I have had this year has firmly brought me down to earth in realising aggressive bees are not fun. Fingers crossed the unite I have done with a calmer colony will sort them out for next year but time will tell on that one. Finding and dispatching that queen was horrific and I was fortunate she just appeared because I wouldn't have wanted to have them open much longer. I got lucky.

Once you experience a bad one Irishguy you will soon see the folly of your post.

When I started out I was gung-ho Irish Guy about handling bees because had only been exposed to small nucleus colonies. One large and particularly feisty colony I have had this year has firmly brought me down to earth in realising aggressive bees are not fun. Fingers crossed the unite I have done with a calmer colony will sort them out for next year but time will tell on that one. Finding and dispatching that queen was horrific and I was fortunate she just appeared because I wouldn't have wanted to have them open much longer. I got lucky.

Once you experience a bad one Irishguy you will soon see the folly of your post.

Hopefully I won't get one at the aipray I have now because sometimes the old farmer and his wife/grand kids walks past them. I'd hate for them to get attacked. My bees would only be 25meteres away from the country lane.

No doubt sooner or later you will get your chance or ask around you might get some off a nearby keeper.

We got our chance earlier this year, being relatively inexperienced (couple of years) and spoilt with decent bees it came as a surprise, not a pleasant one either.

This was a hive that had swarmed like most this year fairly early, I lifted the crownboard only to be whooshed like a scene from a cartoon, banging off me trying to sting everywhere surrounded by a crowd of them. I decided to walk away still with me after 50 metres sat down hung around pinging me for ages. I decided it was because they were queenless, got a water spray and went back and closed them up with the same reception. Left them a few weeks to sort themselves out went back same again (coat on top of my beesuit just in case and just aswell). Tried to requeen them shortly afterwards had the queen in the cage for 3 or 4 days before opening tab to see if that would calm them it didn't. Checked on the queen, gone, same reception again, I didn't bother after that just culled them. The hive was in the middle of a row between 2 normal hives no bother so really couldn't put it down to position, they hadn't particularly been going great guns anyway.

We are a public site so simply can't afford that behaviour, I would hate to think what would of happened it someone had of come into range without gear on. It has made me more hard line I won't let it drag on that long again or at all. It has also made me weary of the rest and dented confidence. We have another that has got a bit lively and it won't see the winter out.

I can understand why the farmers would put up with them through till the end of the season for financial reasons, but why a hobbyist would is beyond me. I don't really care for the Holier Than Thou / I'm a better beekeeper mob because they care for these types of bees, they seem quite happy to inflict these genes on nearby keepers through drones and hence responsible for more hives being culled than the originals a point they seem to ignore.

I hope you enjoy the experience its a case of whatever floats your boat I suppose.

What I'd like to know is there anyone on here that takes the most aggressive queens and breads from them. Reason being is that I'd be interested in having one colony with these types bees to just see how they compare to the more quieter bees.

I know I'd probably have my hands full with them but its a challenge I'd like to take up some day just to see for myself how the bees get on, thou this will be after a few years practice with the more docile bee.

There speaks the voice of inexperience.
Really, really not worth the hassle. It's bloody tedious trying to see past the cloak of bees that have gathered on your veil trying to kill you. Then there's the time wasted picking the hundreds of stings out of your bee gloves before you can wash them.
Cazza

Personally, I wouldn't tolerate aggressive bees. On a good year you can get a decent amount of honey from a nice, placid colony, so why would you put yourself and others through it?

Personally, I wouldn't tolerate aggressive bees. On a good year you can get a decent amount of honey from a nice, placid colony, so why would you put yourself and others through it?

:iagree:
One of most placid colonies this year produced more than 150lbs and two nucs. I'll try and p!ss them off next year, see if they'll pull their socks up and increase production

It's bloody tedious trying to see past the cloak of bees that have gathered on your veil trying to kill you. Then there's the time wasted picking the hundreds of stings out of your bee gloves before you can wash them.

:yeahthat:

Keeping 60,000ish stinging insects in a box is an interesting enough hobby. It can be challenging to inspect when a thunderstorm is approaching, but they calm down again.

Trying to get near those 60,000ish stinging insects when their sole aim is to kill anything in sight is not fun.

Last edited:
Well ... if what he's done to them in the last few weeks hasn't pissed them off ... nothing will !!!

Funnily enough these bees are very quiet. Didn't even notice I was there when I opened the caste and hive without smoking. I has the smoker lite near by just in case thou ;)

Well ... if what he's done to them in the last few weeks hasn't pissed them off ... nothing will !!!

:icon_204-2:
With respect irishguy I do think some of your posts are just aimed at getting a reaction and they usually do work quite well!
E

:icon_204-2:
With respect irishguy I do think some of your posts are just aimed at getting a reaction and they usually do work quite well!
E

To be fair Enrico, there is positives to kepping aggressive bees with producing more honey and less varroa. This is what's sparked this idea. I don't mind at least trying an aggressive hive just to see for myself. I do understand other peoples concerns about aggressive bees but I have a nice location where noone will get effected by these bees, I'm willing to give it a try so why not I say.

:
:iagree:
One of most placid colonies this year produced more than 150lbs and two nucs. I'll try and p!ss them off next year, see if they'll pull their socks up and increase production

You should have your own TV slot! :icon_204-2:

Last edited:
Ok all these posts re aggressive Bees

I have four first year hives, they are harmless, I can sit in front of the entrance studying them with only the odd guard buzzing me.

Only once this year did one hive approach anything near peed off , otherwise close to harmless

Ok all these posts re aggressive Bees

I have four first year hives, they are harmless, I can sit in front of the entrance studying them with only the odd guard buzzing me.

Only once this year did one hive approach anything near peed off , otherwise close to harmless

Mines where like this, I got confident to go over without suit then BANG! Right behind the top of my ear one got me. The sting was in for few mins and my ear swole up like a bap lol.

Latest posts

Back