does anyone keep aggressive bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishguy

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 over wintered nucs
I'm curious to know is there anyone here who keeps bees that are more aggressive than the most common choice docile bee. Now go easy on me if I have picked this up wrong but after some reading on the internet, I've read that very aggressive bees are more inclined to produce more honey and even be better at keeping vorora mite at bay.

Its got me thinking that with mans interference, were partly the reason for this mite problem with dumbing down our bees but that's a whole other thread altogether.

What I'd like to know is there anyone on here that takes the most aggressive queens and breads from them. Reason being is that I'd be interested in having one colony with these types bees to just see how they compare to the more quieter bees.

I know I'd probably have my hands full with them but its a challenge I'd like to take up some day just to see for myself how the bees get on, thou this will be after a few years practice with the more docile bee.

You don't have to worry, you will get one one day, just keep it ! Takes all the pleasure out of beekeeping. Glad you are not near me, wouldn't want your drones near my queens if you get a queen from hell!
E

You don't have to worry, you will get one one day, just keep it ! Takes all the pleasure out of beekeeping. Glad you are not near me, wouldn't want your drones near my queens if you get a queen from hell!
E

I remember a hive at our club apiary that produced a very aggressive strain and had to be re-queened. I was there as a novice observer to watch this hive 'see off' several seasoned keepers. There were so many bees going crazy you could hardly see the hive. They eventually managed it after several attempts (and MANY stings). Certainly not worth keeping in my view. I would soon get sick of that 'challenge'!
Glad I was there just as an observer. Some funny moments though when the 'natural' keeper tried with just lavender water. She would have been safer armed with napalm in my view! (strangely, I have never seen her since)

There are some who believe aggressive bees give more honey, have less disease or deter thieves. There's no evidence I've ever seen that confirms any of that. They're a pain (literally) to work and it's seriously bad manners to produce drones spreading the genes to neighbouring hives.

In a suburban setting even those that were a little tetchy at certain times have not been allowed to re-queen themselves. Any signs of being consistently worse than average and it's queen replacement time.

Inspect your strongest colony on a thundery day with an unlit smoker to get a taste for it and see if it's for you.

In Ireland, that's THE thundery day, I suppose.

Last edited:
There are different levels of aggression. The ones I know of are.

1. Multiple stings.
2. Clouding around and bouncing off you.
3. Hand grabbers. Once you put your hand near them they go straight for your hand and you end up with a bee glove.
4. Following and bouncing off you.
5. Long range interceptors. 20ft away and they'll find you.

I have/had them all. I always inspect fully protected because if you give then the chance they will sting.

Am planning on requeeing all of them next year. Except for the nice docile cut out I collected during the year.

There does appear to be little varroa on them but that could be due to the large mesh I use in my floors.

Re-Queen, it is pretty straightforward.
You may need to re-queen further down the line too, as offspring may mate with drones with less than stellar characteristics....

However! On another note but related to aggressive colonies!
Earlier this year I had occasion to re-queen a hive, they were aggressive b'stards, if you got too close, they would not only attack you without cause, but they would hunt you down then try and throw you over the nearest hedge. (Now that is a picture)

As they were prolific, I split the colony and added a new buckfast queen to one half.

The remaining half of the colony (In the original location) were in a pretty sunny spot, generally, they would shoot out of the hive like a bullet and bearded a lot, I decided to relocate them to a shadier area around 150 metres away. (Yes you can relocate short distances).

Additionally I had noticed that smoke just aggravated the situation so I also decided not to smoke them during an inspection, not a hint of aggressiveness, they remained sedate and simply let me remove frames for the inspection.

So I decided to keep them, I no longer use smoke on this colony or any other colonies and provided you are gentle with them and show some respect by handling gently and generally leaving them alone...they are pretty well behaved.

I walk through the apiary every day with no suit and they have yet to attack, before the relocation I would not have gone near them with no suit.

Not suggesting that aggressive colonies can always be tamed just by making a few changes, I do advocate re-queening as a solution, but not the only solution. Sometimes taking a step back and taking everything into consideration can provide other options.

Last edited:
I'm curious to know is there anyone here who keeps bees that are more aggressive than the most common choice docile bee. Now go easy on me if I have picked this up wrong but after some reading on the internet, I've read that very aggressive bees are more inclined to produce more honey and even be better at keeping vorora mite at bay.

That is very old legend and it is partly true. But with calm bees you surely get better yields.

When you cross two bee strains, they get hybrid vigour and they may get back their original habit to defend their hive.

Swarming is enemy of good yields, and hybrids get back their original swarming tendency. It is quite awfull to inspect queen cells every week from a big agressive hive.

But actually good yields come from good pastures. Good tame bees are easy to nurse and they pick splended yields. At least I have got better yields with calm bees than with agressives.

had a few... 2 this year was very aggressive. they both swarmed and the new queens are realy calm.. ile wait till next year and see what there like..

Its got me thinking that with mans interference, were partly the reason for this mite problem with dumbing down our bees but that's a whole other thread altogether.

What I'd like to know is there anyone on here that takes the most aggressive queens and breads from them. Reason being is that I'd be interested in having one colony with these types bees to just see how they compare to the more quieter bees.

I know I'd probably have my hands full with them but its a challenge I'd like to take up some day just to see for myself how the bees get on, thou this will be after a few years practice with the more docile bee.

Don't go down that road of keeping aggressive bees. Not worth it & you won't enjoy it. Someone on here had bees that were that bad that they had to wear two bee suits, one over the other, just to avoid being stung. They can be relentless. Really not making for enjoyable inspections.

Don't go down that road of keeping aggressive bees. Not worth it & you won't enjoy it. Someone on here had bees that were that bad that they had to wear two bee suits, one over the other, just to avoid being stung. They can be relentless. Really not making for enjoyable inspections.

I don't mind wearing 2 beesuites or even a few stings on the hand. I think naturally bees where aggressive but man has dumbed them down and with that, this mite problem has got hold. This and there no better way to find out if I'm right or wrong by doing my own research with aggressive bees.

Get some aggressive bees then.

That'll be the plan when I've more experienced but sure why not ask some folk who maybe into keeping aggressive hives before I do. Isn't that what forums are for, ask questions about things one mightn't know and get knowledge from others ;).

But your neighbours whose queens are inseminated by your drones might well.

I know a very isolated spot where noone keeps bees. Im not that stupid to keep them near where anyone lives to cause others harm. If I don't like what I'm doing, Sure I'll just requeen them

I have a colony that is in the aggressive category. Was in today inspecting a test frame as it seems they balled the buckfast I tried to requeen with. I dress up like an astronaut and never really get stung....until today. Bent down and my veil must have touched my face, that was the chance they needed and so I was zapped on the side of my face.
I have never been stung on the face before and my only real symptom is fat puffy eyelids!

Simply put, if you keep bees for long enough you will be encountering one or more aggressive colonies. Make no mistake in that unless you are extreeeemely lucky.

How the beekeeper manages those colonies is the real issue. Beekeeping is about making observations and making decisions on those observations. Acting before things progress to the critical stage (and beyond, for some) is good.

Some make beekeeping too complex. It is simple really.

Latest posts

Back