Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Stiffy 

Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
50+
Thinking further ahead I will be making some Nuc boxes up during the autumn/winter ready for next year (can’t believe I am thinking that far ahead!!)
Anyway does anyone know where I can get disc entrance from apart from Thxxxes?
I was going to order from them but I am really disappointed with their service and attitude of late and would rather give my money to a supplier that appreciates and values their customers.
Many Thanks
Stiffy

admin 

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Stamfordham used to do them.
Just Google the website and they have an online pdf catalogue(or did have).

birchdale 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Although they do the job I find the Thornes ones are a little large and made of plastic making them difficult to scortch in situ.
Dave Cusmans site has info on them. I suppose you could make your own if you had the metal + tools.

Rosti 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
No picture to hand but ...
The sides of a nuc box extend out the front to allow space up top for the frame lugs. I cut two slots so a piece of ply can be slid through flush with the end plate. I have a large hole cut in the end plate of the nuc box and then on one 'edge' of the ply slider I have a small hole cut to reduce the entrance if needed and then the other horizontal edge is plain - meaning you can flip it over and shut the entrance completely for travel etc. I find those three options enough and its a cheap solution (lives under the roof with gaffa when not needed). R

justme 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Number of Hives
10(OSB hives)1 National
No picture to hand but ...
The sides of a nuc box extend out the front to allow space up top for the frame lugs. I cut two slots so a piece of ply can be slid through flush with the end plate. I have a large hole cut in the end plate of the nuc box and then on one 'edge' of the ply slider I have a small hole cut to reduce the entrance if needed and then the other horizontal edge is plain - meaning you can flip it over and shut the entrance completely for travel etc. I find those three options enough and its a cheap solution (lives under the roof with gaffa when not needed). R
Hi Rosti.
That sounds great, any chance of a piccy, my brain doesn't work too well at sorting out written descriptions.

Di

Eyeman 

Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
National and 14x12
I bought these little beauties in Belgrade when I by accident stumbled across the annual slovenia beekeepers meeting. They cost 6p each.
The bee poo turned out to be stress induced and was present a few hours after the nuc was made up. The inside was clean and the bees were fine. Never had such a mess before or since.
View attachment 2052

Stiffy 

Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
50+
I bought these little beauties in Belgrade when I by accident stumbled across the annual slovenia beekeepers meeting. They cost 6p each.
The bee poo turned out to be stress induced and was present a few hours after the nuc was made up. The inside was clean and the bees were fine. Never had such a mess before or since.
View attachment 2052
Just what I want, not the poo though!

Stiffy 

Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
50+
Stamfordham used to do them.
Just Google the website and they have an online pdf catalogue(or did have).
Emailed them, will let you know if in stock (after I order)
Cheers

Rosti 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi Rosti.
That sounds great, any chance of a piccy, my brain doesn't work too well at sorting out written descriptions.

Di
Working in Spain at mo (not as glamorous as it sounds!), will post a pic when I get home (Friday night / Sat morning). R

Rosti 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Cheap Adjustable Nuc Closure

Justme - pictures of my crudely adjustable entrance on nuc's as promised. When open stored in roof, second pic just to show slotted retention. V easy to build in when you are making a nuc. Regards, R

Last edited:

kazmcc 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
None, although I have my eye on one ( Just don't tell Dusty ;) )
Simple, but effective.......a bees eye view :)

Latest posts