Abelo 6 Frame poly nuc entrance and mice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluebell1985

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Regarding the entrance for this hive which on it's smallest setting has an opening of 9mm (h) by 50mm (w). This is my first year into beekeeping and where I'm currently at I'll have 3 of these nucs going into winter.

I'm thinking the above entrance will not prevent a mouse from entering during winter. I was debating cutting a piece of plastic to match the size of the entrance block and drill x number of holes in to allow bees in and out but no mice. Is this necessary or am I overthinking this?

Any feedback appreciated especially from those who also use these nucs. Would love to know your findings.

Edit: dimension size error

Last edited:
My gut feeling is that it's unnecessary. I don't think a mouse will get through a 5mm wide gap. And if one is really, really that desperate to get in, it will chew through the polystyrene.

James

Regarding the entrance for this hive which on it's smallest setting has an opening of 9mm (h) by 5mm (w). This is my first year into beekeeping and where I'm currently at I'll have 3 of these nucs going into winter.

I'm thinking the above entrance will not prevent a mouse from entering during winter. I was debating cutting a piece of plastic to match the size of the entrance block and drill x number of holes in to allow bees in and out but no mice. Is this necessary or am I overthinking this?

Any feedback appreciated especially from those who also use these nucs. Would love to know your findings.

I've had no problems with these nucs in a very wooded location. If you're worried, you could cut down one of these sliders from the full-size box which will fit in the slots at the side:

https://www.abelo.co.uk/shop/national-hive/poly-hives-national/entrance-reducer/

My gut feeling is that it's unnecessary. I don't think a mouse will get through a 5mm wide gap. And if one is really, really that desperate to get in, it will chew through the polystyrene.

James

I messed up. It's 9mm by 50mm

Latest posts

Back