Mouseguard for poly nuc?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BernardBlack

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
With the gate/disc on, and the queen excluder slots over the entrance I’m losing some pollen at the entrance due to the size of the slots. But don’t want to leave the big hole opened in winter with mice about.

Is there a mouse guard option I could buy for the nuc, with bigger holes to enable the bees to come back in without pollen being lost?

Hate to see all that foraging and pollen going to waste.

With the gate/disc on, and the queen excluder slots over the entrance I’m losing some pollen at the entrance due to the size of the slots. But don’t want to leave the big hole opened in winter with mice about.

Is there a mouse guard option I could buy for the nuc, with bigger holes to enable the bees to come back in without pollen being lost?

Some months ago, the size of openings which prevented mouse entry was discussed on the forum. It would seem that openings about 6mm or 7mm diameter will prevent mouse entry, but allow easy passage for the bees

Before I had all my floors with underfloor entrances I used an entrance block with 7mm x 50mm slot all year round with no mouse problems

Forget the queen excluder, just open the ordinary entrance hole just wide enough for bees to move freely but deter the mice.

Definitely forget the QEx setting in winter - you risk getting the entrance clogged with dead bees that they can't evict. Just do what JBM said, and perhaps also put a pin in the disc so that a mouse can't force the entrance wider than you want it.

To be honest, my nucs have the disc set on fully open throughout the winter and thus far I've had no issues (and yes, plenty of mice around) maybe the fact that they're all on eighteen inch high stands plays a part

15mm max dia and a mouse generally can't gain entry though maybe a shrew will, I keep mine on 9mm UFE all year round.

Definitely forget the QEx setting in winter - you risk getting the entrance clogged with dead bees that they can't evict. Just do what JBM said, and perhaps also put a pin in the disc so that a mouse can't force the entrance wider than you want it.

Yeah good point re: dead bees.

I have a few pins to keep the disc in place. But yeah, as JBM said, using a smaller entrance is probably the best idea

Latest posts

Back