Disaster strikes......my fault!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enrico

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I tell you this as some may learn and some may wince and some may even laugh!
My apiary has seven hives. Today I wanted to check a couple. My stands are built for two hives but not all have two on so I use the spare space to put supers etc on. I took of a super and a brood box packed full if stores off one hive and put it on a stand behind me which already had one hive on. I turned to pick up my smoker and at that point the stand behind me collapsed. The super and brood box fell onto the hive I was inspecting and knocked that over so another brood box spilled its frames out, the hive that was already on the stand that collapsed also tipped over and spilled the frames out of all box's so I now have six box's of bees from two hives on their sides and frames everywhere. There is a really really strong smell of almonds (wonder why!!!) and then the air fills with a million bees intent on one thing. Me! At that point my old bee suit that is 25 years old decides that it will give enough of a gap between the hat and the veil to allow entry and I take 6 quick stings to the face, neck and head. My lips immediately begin to tingle and swell. I shout to my wife to go in the house and stay there. I retreat to sort the veil out but the bees will not leave me to let me take it off. My wife dons her suit and I go inside and we kill enough bees to allow me to deveil and make emergency repairs with good old gaffa tape. Back into the fray and put the hives back together. I could hardly see for flying, angry bees, I was covered from head to foot in bees that found their way down my wellies, into pockets, back into my veil, up my right nostril!
Grit my teeth and carry on, bees being squashed and killed everywhere. Sickening smell of almonds making the other hives join in.
I know not if I killed queens or where they are in the hive. To be honest my main concern was to put them back together now as I knew I would not be able to return if I failed! I'll be honest, even after thirty years this amount of angry bees was scary!
Succeeded after a fashion and retired to lick my wounds. My top lip is an interesting shape but luckily I don't react too badly to stings so I got away fairly lightly.
What have I learnt? That I need to check my stands and make them stronger.
What am I afraid of? That the bees will never forgive me!
Just though I would share the worst day of my beekeeping experience with you all. Not after sympathy, well not much anyway :)
E

You have our sympathy Enrico as it must have been a truly terrifying experience. Glad that you are ok.

Arrrrgh....all my sympathies. We had a little stinging session the other day...again our own fault.....went to return empty supers after honey removal without suits or smoke as they are such placid bees. Forgot the time was late....the bees in the first hive were at us straight away. I collected 6 and my OH got 4 ....hey oh...live and learn. Went out later all dressed up with smoker.....didn't need suits or smoker...bees like lambs. Hope you soon recover....

Wooo

Now that sounds fairly intense !!!!!.

Glad to hear you didnt end up , as could have happened, in a worse state.

Best Regards & Hope the swelling goes down soon, and you're Bees forgive you !

Brian.

Horrible, there but for the grace go the rest of us - you have my sympathy. Hope you're ok.

My sympathies. The 'domino' effect!

I've found that water mist (from a hand-held sprayer) is pretty wonderful at 'quelling' masses of flying bees.
Not sure it would have dealt with a whole agitated apiary though …

Your story made me go cold, I feel so sorry for you and scared at the thought of finding myself in a similar situation. Thank you for your honesty, I am going to check my stands too and try to ensure that that doesn't happen to me - it so easily could. What a fright you must have had.
:thanks:

Hope all is well with you and the bees.

I have a couple of hive stands that are about to be "reconditioned". The legs are displaying the signs of our maritime climate....

Thanks folks! Knew I could rely on you all to make me feel better! Whoops just dribbled my tea down my front, top lip isn't where it should be :) The stupid thing was it was a quickly made stand as I was running out of kit this year! It wasn't to my usual standard and I should have known better than add that weight to it!
Oh well! I have just been up there to see what is happening. I obviously left one frame out and now all hell is breaking loose as to who can get the honey out of it. Least of my worries! I will remove it after dark!
E

Of all the times to get a failure, not a nice experience at all. I used to have a double stand with wooden legs, very sturdy I thought and them I saw how much it was wobbling as I put super number five onto one of the hives. :eek:
I quickly reverted to pot blocks and beams, always with a central block as well.
Thankfully, it appears you were following your 'bomb proof' advice so didn't receive too much through the suit?
At least you're still here, typing. :)

I do feel for you, 5 stings were enough for me to be worried. I hope you and your wife recover quickly. A straw works well for drinking even hot drinks when you have a problem with your mouth, used one when I had my wisdom teeth out.
I am now thinking of bricks instead of brieze blocks to go on top of the slabs I have put down and I am keeping a careful eye on the one that looks like the leaning tower of Pizza because the slab has settled ever so slightly under the weight of six supers.

Last edited:
Enrico, a truly terrifying read. How very brave of you to carry on to put the hives back together in those circumstances. Well done to the wife too. Wish you a speedy recovery from all those stings.

Glad you are still in one piece Enrico, don't worry bee's have short memories! I've only managed to drop one full national deep and that was bad enough. Feet up and a stiff drink called for (after the worst effects have worn off)!

Wow, Enrico!

An awful experience.

Sometimes the only thing to do, is to hang on in there, try to disengage emotions and engage the brain, just to focus on the problem.

I guess it's probable that your worst ever beekeeping experience lies in the past - whilst for the rest of us, it's possibly still out there!

And what a story to tell!

[Still, I'm glad it wasn't me!]

Hope the swellings go down.

Dusty

Sometimes the only thing to do, is to hang on in there, try to disengage emotions and engage the brain, just to focus on the problem.

:iagree:

Had two bees find their way into my veil on Monday whilst in the middle of queen marking, no choice but to carry on with the two of them hovering but an inch in front of me until I had finished - luckily they were more intrigued than angry! Had a hive stand topple over on me last year as I was trying to 'correct' a nasty wobble - the roof was off but crown board still on but with a gallon of feed on it - feeder went one way, managed to grab brood box but floor went t'other! no gloves - and veil was down!!! so my sympathies are with you

Ouch.
I can sympathise I had some bees inside my veil a few weeks ago.

Good grief!! Well done you, and your wife! Not sure I would have been brave enough to stick around, and thank you for reminding us all to think about the extra weight we put on stands at this time of year and make sure they are steady.

I hope your discomfort passes soon.

Latest posts

Back