Disaster strikes......my fault!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahh! Melbee, you are such a sweetie, or is it sweety!
I am fine this morning, dreamt of bees all night but everything looks better in the daylight. Most of the swelling gone already which is a record. Wandered up to my bees, they seem to be fairly quiet and let me approach without bombing so maybe all is forgiven! I am still going to leave them until after the 'storm' as a precaution. I have ordered a brand new bee suit, I will be sad to see the other one go but I will keep it as a spare, I sort of get attached to things!
The sun is shining and life is a bowl of cherries again, but thanks for asking :)
The forum is a good place to ..... Vent..... You know others really do know what you are talking about! I only wish I had filmed it all!
E x

If you really really want to film it and are willing to repeat the exercise I can operate a video - feel free to refuse however :)

Glad you're okay, Enrico.

I've got my hives on individual stands, and have been worrying whether they're strong enough of support a brood box and three full supers. My dad always had a habit of overkill when he made things, and used steel beams whenever making any form of support. It's a shame he's too old and infirm to weld me some hive supports.

Hi Enrico

Hope things are looking better today, I have a slight tear in my veil and have a piece of tape over it, I think I will invest in a new one, Glad you’re OK, You don’t know me but I have read some of your comments and used them.
Regards
Richard

One of the beeks in our communal apiary has a colony that is like a leaning tower of bees.

The ground underfoot in the apiary is still settling after the creation of our allotments a couple of years ago, and I keep thinking that one day I will find it on the floor, but it is still defying gravity.

He keeps promising to straighten it up. Maybe an episode like yours would persuade him to get a move on :)

Andy

wouldnt wish that on FINMAN sorry, typo, my worst enemy!
just joking FINMAN :)
e

That one made me laugh! I couldn't even see the grass for frames and bees. I still haven't found the smoker!
One thing I have learnt is that I suddenly seem to have lost a lot of my allergies to stings, at last! My lip a has already gone down and apart from sore bits where the stings went in there seem to be no ill effects. If this had been any other time in the past 29 years I would have been balloon shaped and screaming with the dreaded itch by now! I wonder why your body suddenly seems to be able to cope better!
Just been up to them, all seems calmer! Retrieved the rogue frame. I will give them 48 hours to get over it and then go in and see what I put back where!
Thanks for the kind comments.
E

Perhaps in that scenario the adrenalin rush and every other hormone in the body on overload had something to do with it. Like sometimes you don't feel pain till later as the will to survive overrides everything else. Nature has it's marvels.
Regards Dave

Give them time to get over it

Glad you are still in one piece Enrico, don't worry bee's have short memories!

Not necessarily!

We had a demo hive kicked over by some vandals and the bees took quite a while to get back to their old placid selves.

It was well over a week before they were approachable. But they did eventually calm down.

So do not worry if they are a bit iffy for while.

Enrico - just read your post. Stuff of beekeeping lore. Glad you came from it. Snort a little luscious lime honey for your nose and think of steel bases for your hives.

Latest posts

Back