Deep breath... here goes!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flotess

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Well, having too'ed and froo'ed with the idea for 2 years, attending (almost all) of the local course the plunge has been taken!

(Picture inserted here but removed 'cos I've not made 10 posts!)

Our first and, as yet, unpopulated hive is at the bottom of the paddock (which is at the bottom of the garden). I have a friendly bee-keeper up the road on stand-by for any incompetence that I may exhibit and am now waiting for something to take up residence. It's a long shot but if a passing scout is looking for a 'des res' with lovely countryside views then we may be in business. I've tried to tip the balance by pinning a vial of nasonov in the hive.

I'm reading as much as I can but I hope you'll be forgiving of my ignorance over the next couple of years. I shall endeavour to take advice in the spirit that it's offered!

Cheers,

Mark

You say paddock are there horses in it?

Well, having too'ed and froo'ed with the idea for 2 years, attending (almost all) of the local course the plunge has been taken!

(Picture inserted here but removed 'cos I've not made 10 posts!)

Our first and, as yet, unpopulated hive is at the bottom of the paddock (which is at the bottom of the garden). I have a friendly bee-keeper up the road on stand-by for any incompetence that I may exhibit and am now waiting for something to take up residence. It's a long shot but if a passing scout is looking for a 'des res' with lovely countryside views then we may be in business. I've tried to tip the balance by pinning a vial of nasonov in the hive.

I'm reading as much as I can but I hope you'll be forgiving of my ignorance over the next couple of years. I shall endeavour to take advice in the spirit that it's offered!

Cheers,

Mark

Good for you and I hope some nice bees take up residence soon.
Also welcome to the nut house, I mean forum:seeya:
S

Nope... it's ours... no horses. Chickens up the other end but they can't get to the bees.

Thats a relief then looks a good site, and looks like you have the room for plenty more.

Thats a relief then looks a good site, and looks like you have the room for plenty more.

Plenty more?!?!? I'm in a state of almost permanent panic over this one and it's empty!! :)

Welcome to the forum!

It's recently been pointed out that many newbies don't realise there's a directory of suppliers (plus a few other odds and ends) at the top of every page. Yes, I missed it too! It's not a complete and definitive list of resources, but it's certainly worth a look.

Good luck with your hive!

Have you set the hive as a bait hive?

If so from the photo it looks to big, swarms although not all but on the whole tend to prefer a space that is 40L or just the standard bb.

If you want to store the supers on the hive then fit the crown board over the bb and also block off any hole in the crown board. You can then place the supers over the crown board but if a swarm moves in the supers over the bb will act as a heat loss to the bees and you will be advised to move them if a swarm does moves in.

I can see the reduced entrance fitted that’s good but have you closed off the mesh floor if not it will increase your chances if you do.

Also one final bit if you can face the hive south so the entrance gets plenty of sun. You can again re position the orientation of the hive after a swarm moves in.

Good look I like bait hives but ones that you can keep an eye on during the day as it is surprising just how much interest they can get and after 4 days of increasing interest you can watch the swarm arrive or it all stops as the bees have decided they have found something better or the beekeeper has just inspected their hive and found swarming preparations in full swing.

Have you set the hive as a bait hive?

If so from the photo it looks to big, swarms although not all but on the whole tend to prefer a space that is 40L or just the standard bb.

If you want to store the supers on the hive then fit the crown board over the bb and also block off any hole in the crown board. You can then place the supers over the crown board but if a swarm moves in the supers over the bb will act as a heat loss to the bees and you will be advised to move them if a swarm does moves in.

I can see the reduced entrance fitted that’s good but have you closed off the mesh floor if not it will increase your chances if you do.

Also one final bit if you can face the hive south so the entrance gets plenty of sun. You can again re position the orientation of the hive after a swarm moves in.

Good look I like bait hives but ones that you can keep an eye on during the day as it is surprising just how much interest they can get and after 4 days of increasing interest you can watch the swarm arrive or it all stops as the bees have decided they have found something better or the beekeeper has just inspected their hive and found swarming preparations in full swing.

Great advice!! I will remove the supers to the garage and leave a blocked off crown board and roof in place.

Cheers,

Mark

Welcome to the forum!

It's recently been pointed out that many newbies don't realise there's a directory of suppliers (plus a few other odds and ends) at the top of every page. Yes, I missed it too! It's not a complete and definitive list of resources, but it's certainly worth a look.

Good luck with your hive!

Ah ha!! Add me to the list of peps who missed it!

Cheers,

Mark

Ask your friendly beekeeper for an old frame of brood comb. Very attractive to swarms looking for a new home.

How likely is it that a bait hive will work?

I have assumed that without nearby keepers / hives, they would be ineffective.

But if they have a good hit rate, I might have a go myself!

welcome to the forum.
as above, try and get hold of an old, used brood frame to put into the bait hive, it increases your chances of success in luring in a swarm.

Latest posts

Back