New Apiary, hive location - comments and opinions

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

einsteinagogo

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
enough (but all insured!)
Okay, so I've now been keeping bees myself, for a little over my first year. So still green, learning, and a novice, but I've learned much, and still have much to learn. So a big Thanks to all on the Forum here, that have helped me with my big learning curve, for my first year, onto my second....(and that's been tough with swarming!).

Last June, a swarm took up residence in my front garden, and this year I also setup two colonies at a local allotment site (not on the allotment plot) but spare land out of reach of allotment holders and plots. However I've now decided although it's very satisfying having bees in your garden and watching them, every morning and evening, and at the allotment site, I am mindful of "joe public" and thieves, I've not had any issues with either apiary, but I've now decided to MOVE all colonies to an private out-apiary, which is in a secret location, away from public, neighbours, allotment holders etc - and SWMBO wants the garden back, these locations will always be handy in the future for housing swarms etc! (maybe!).

So I have a "greenfield site" unlike the garden and allotment where the hives were just dumped, and want your opinions and comments.....

the location is a small wood, which faces into open fields/meadow the opening of the copse faces due south. I've set the hive stands in two different locations, one facing the field, but I'm mindful that a tractor cuts the grass, and these could be too close, and knock over the hives, so I've then gone for a U shaped location, and set the hives back, which might make for better cover, less exposure, and easier to work (and it's flatter!).

See photos.

I'd like dos and donts, comments, thoughts, I'm not going to move the hives after this move, and there's enough space for 9-10 hives (which I do not want to go beyond, and only want 3-4 to manage for a few years!)

My only concern would be flooding. It looks like the copse is in an area lower than the rest of the fields.

Do you know how the location went through winter?

that'll be a busy area in the U SHAPE,

I have an apiary in my woods, on the boundary looking out onto a large wild flower meadow, but I have my hives pulled back so they cant be seen from the field, I purposely looked for areas with natural openings between the trees and coppice hazel, the bees would have exit holes in the leaves/branches etc

My only concern would be flooding. It looks like the copse is in an area lower than the rest of the fields.

Thanks for prompt reply, I know the location very well, and the field, and there is no flooding in this field.

in fact this is at quite a high spot on a bank, which is raised...it gets much lower to the bottom of the field.....where there is a river/beck, there are also a few wildlife ponds around to drain the surrounding fields, this area has sort of been designed as a wildlife heaven for animals, insects, creatures etc

so no crops, just meadow (in this 10 acre section), outside OSR, Field Beans, Wheat, Barley, Borage....no herbicides or pesticides in use

that'll be a busy area in the U SHAPE,

I have an apiary in my woods, on the boundary looking out onto a large wild flower meadow, but I have my hives pulled back so they cant be seen from the field, I purposely looked for areas with natural openings between the trees and coppice hazel, the bees would have exit holes in the leaves/branches etc

so maybe best as per original layout? I was going to put them all at the edge, but was fearful of the tractor which cuts the grass....I could may push them back...

maybe spend an hour there this weekend, re-arrange stands, and have them front facing.....only....I may get some slabs, or something to rest the wooden hive stands on to level, and stop them being on wet ground, and stop some of the rot.

Last edited:
Speak to the farmer about the positioning. Mine are in a scrubby bit by field edge and with rapid growth they are surrounded by high grass so could be easily run over because with modern tractors it's easy not to see because of their size. However, farmer knows they are there so OK (plus he got stung on the nose last year when he left the tractor running by them so knows they're there!)

Speak to the farmer about the positioning. Mine are in a scrubby bit by field edge and with rapid growth they are surrounded by high grass so could be easily run over because with modern tractors it's easy not to see because of their size. However, farmer knows they are there so OK (plus he got stung on the nose last year when he left the tractor running by them so knows they're there!)

I was going to speak to the land owner, before I finally bring the hives in, to ask if the standard are in the right place. They had originally stated, anywhere here, but I did say I would ask there approval, once the stands are sited, due to hive movement was difficult/impossible later, it was me that noticed the grass had been cut close to the "entrance", they did say that's not necessary, but I feel I should show them, before siting hives!

I was trying to get a feel for best placement of hive stands, and hive entrance, I can always nip round the back, to work them as there is easy access to the copse.

This may be a silly question, but as this is pasture/meadow, isn't livestock an issue?

Hi Einstein
It was a surprise as looking at your question, I am doing exactly the same for the same reason in a very similar location down here in Suffolk.

This may be a silly question, but as this is pasture/meadow, isn't livestock an issue?

Valid question.

there is no livestock. there is an adjoining field which is on occasion, is "rented" out to my neighbors 5 sheep, but no sheep or livestock allowed in here, because there are new trees, as an Arboretum, is trying to be created.

So only livestock, insects, and my bees! (some rabbits and hares)

silly because I thought you would have considered it, but asked it anyway, as quite a few people don't!

Hi Einstein
It was a surprise as looking at your question, I am doing exactly the same for the same reason in a very similar location down here in Suffolk.

Yes, I've learnt, best out of the way!

Yeah agree with that. Had to move mine out of the garden after the neighbour that partly backs on to mine whinged after a mating flight :-( Neighbours either side were happy to have them there (and free honey)

I agree out apiaries are best. Bees do cause fear in some people so it's just not worth the extra hassle. Plus being a bad reactor to stings myself I would hate any harm to come to somebody from my activities.
As beekeepers we just need to continue educating people.

Anyway Andy looks like you have a great site so good luck with the move.

I agree out apiaries are best. Bees do cause fear in some people so it's just not worth the extra hassle. Plus being a bad reactor to stings myself I would hate any harm to come to somebody from my activities.
As beekeepers we just need to continue educating people.

Anyway Andy looks like you have a great site so good luck with the move.

Thanks Fatbee, yes the interesting thing will be the move, planning now, and may decide to unite colonies later in the year, at this site!!! (rather than at the other apiarys)

Building a Hive Barrow this weekend!

First I looked that the site is shady, but is it towards south?

Last edited:
Can't say I notice the difference between my two apiaries where one is more shaded than other. The swarmed colony from last summer in the neighbouring tree seems happy enough

Can't say I notice the difference between my two apiaries where one is more shaded than other. The swarmed colony from last summer in the neighbouring tree seems happy enough

I can. It is a big difference between hives which are in half shade and in open sun.

First I looked that the site is shady, but is it towards south?

Yes, it faces due South. So the front of the entrance, outwards across the fields is South.

(from the camera position you are looking due North!)

Latest posts

Back