moving colony to new hive - nightmare

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shrekfeet

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
What a nightmare I had this evening. YOu may have seen my earlier post. On the 22nd July I had to hastily gather a swarm in to a temp box the night before getting up at 4am for holiday. On return I put a hive together and if you read my earlier post you will know that when I went to transfer them they had totally ignored the frames I added and built out comb from the roof of the box - typical!
So this evening I took the advice off here and cut the comb from the roof and tried to wire it into empty frame. It didn't work! So I've ended up dumping the bees into the new hive and 'placing' the comb around the brood box to try to encourage the bees to stay. I ended up cutting all the comb away as I wanted to try to find the queen and move her to her new residence. Anyway, no sign of a queen and no sign of any brood!??! There were a couple of what I would call 'play cups' drawn out

So, what next? assuming that they stay in the new des res, do I buy a queen. If there had been no queen for a month how much longer before they die out? Should I just try to reunite them with one of my other colonies? What else should I be thinkig about?

Every time i go in these days I come away feeling like I'm out of my depth and should trhow the towel in:willy_nilly:

I did say to leave it till next year and do a bailey change.
Did you see any eggs in there at all?

sorry Craig for not taking your advice but the comments about it just being more of a bugger's muddle to deal with made me want to get on and sort it out. I thought i looked really well but didn't see any eggs, how soon after swarming would the queen lay and how big would the eggs be one month after swarming?

not being funny but can you spot eggs in your other hives?

Seems my post vanished.

I would use a test frame, and give them a small feed.

PH

ok, let's ignor this post and use the other. I'll reply there

Back