Dead bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Quite a lot of dead outside one of my hives today - see attached.
Any thoughts?
The colony is on 7 frames of brood and has been very early to build up.
Now drawing out foundation on second super earlier super a returned after storing wet, full of nectar, but not sealed.
Varroa treatment in Autumn was six vapes to get to a negligible drop and checks during Winter showed negligible amounts.
Just concerned I may have a problem as no other colonies have dead outside.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    401.2 KB · Views: 111
Doesn't look to bad just check for deformed wings on a few of the dead but you mainly notice them crawling around. Many dead are often lost in the grass or undergrowth, it’s not until you have some clear ground you realise the numbers that die or get chucked out.

A bit difficult to see from the photo. Suggest you clear away all debris from the solid floor and take another picture in 24 hrs time. Chances are there is nothing amiss at all, just the bees "spring cleaning".

Thanks, I'll check daily for a while and hope for the best.
I've not seen any dwv or crawlers so far.

I have clear ground ( clay now turned to concrete) in front of my hives and often find quite a few dead bees during the day but these tend to magically disappear- think I found the answer when I saw a Jay on the ground presumably having a feast. Anybody else noticed anything like this ?

Check underneath the omf in the evening . If they congregate there the cold nights are killing them
E

I have clear ground ( clay now turned to concrete) in front of my hives and often find quite a few dead bees during the day but these tend to magically disappear- think I found the answer when I saw a Jay on the ground presumably having a feast. Anybody else noticed anything like this ?

Yes. One year I noticed a growing pyramid of dead bee parts under one of my hives. It was a mouse that spent the afternoons sitting on one of the cross bars of the hive stand eating dead bees.

Yes. One year I noticed a growing pyramid of dead bee parts under one of my hives. It was a mouse that spent the afternoons sitting on one of the cross bars of the hive stand eating dead bees.
So mice and jays so far, any other suggestions anyone ?

Looks like spring cleaning to me.

Some colonys are better than others at house duties.

I don't know about you but it's been frosty the last few nights perhaps a few more bee's dieing of.
Would all of the old winter bees be dead now?

So mice and jays so far, any other suggestions anyone ?

Sparrows here. They feed their young on bees..Partially.. About 8 nests round our house.. mainly under the eaves.

And the (very) odd blackbird..

Sparrows here. They feed their young on bees..Partially.. About 8 nests round our house.. mainly under the eaves.

That's interesting, nature never ceases to surprise and amaze.

:yeahthat: The female blackbird is very happy now the drones have started to fly, the unlucky ones that get stuck in the grass stand no chance.
But between her and the Blue-tits they keep the area clean.

Looks like spring cleaning to me.

Some colonys are better than others at house duties.

I don't know about you but it's been frosty the last few nights perhaps a few more bee's dieing of.
Would all of the old winter bees be dead now?

I've been moving a hive down the garden for weeks now. Right up until this week I had bees returning to its original position before turning and finding the hive further down the garden. Only Winter bees would have orientated to the original site.
It seems to me bees have longer memories than is generally accepted.

Last edited:

Last year Dusty had a wasps nest in his wood shed only a few feet away from the hives and the wasps used to come and clear up the floor. Took a few grounded bees but never caused any problems trying to get into the hives.

Last year Dusty had a wasps nest in his wood shed only a few feet away from the hives and the wasps used to come and clear up the floor. Took a few grounded bees but never caused any problems trying to get into the hives.
I wish the wasps round here were as well behaved as yours- I'll do you a swap !

Latest posts

Back