Dave Cushman's Site

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a fabulous resource for all beekeepers.

I just wish he would keep his opinions out of it ....

For example:

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/nat1412.html

Opinionated twaddle - which cannot be challenged on the website.

I've just read that stuff and I must say, if I was looking for information about what format to start up with, as a new beekeeper, I think I'd be disappointed. I'd be looking for facts about how 14x12 compared to the other formats - size, number of cells in a frame, weight of frame when full of brood or stores, weight of the box when made of cedar, pine and plywood. If there had been that sort of information available when I was starting two years ago, I might have made different decisions - I have found out since that plywood 14x12s are probably too heavy to move single-handed in winter i.e. when you cannot move the frames separately between boxes.

That sort of information or opinion would have been helpful on DC's website. It was not available two years ago and it certainly is not available now - such a lost opportunity.

CVB

Although he was one of the people running the BBKA forum when 'moderation' was so aggressive that this forum was established to provide beekeepers with a place that they could air their views - whatever they may be - so we might have to wait a bit for that facility !

At the time of 'heavy moderation' there was some serious trolling and real grief, I recall; as well as a few opinionated and self-important fellows which you will always see. The site administrator (not Roger) was involved in some over-zealous moderation and didn't 'get it'. Those that caused the trouble at the time know their own motivations. I've seen some aggressive individuals here too. I don't see that on the BBKA forum now. I may be wrong but I understand RP's IP address was blocked from looking at this site at one point so he may not be able to defend himself. And BBKA was not allowed to be mentioned here ... etc.

As far as 14 x 12's are concerned, BIG frames, bit of a pain really. Commercial seems a better idea. Or Langstroths.

As far as 14 x 12's are concerned, BIG frames, bit of a pain really. Commercial seems a better idea. Or Langstroths.

I'm OK with 14 x 12 but if I had my time again I would use Langstroths
When we move back to Cumbria I will sell the lot and start again with a couple of poly Langs

I have Lang jumbos: No problems with the frame sizes.. or weights.. But then I used to weighlift...:serenade:

I would as well, although I don't have the problems with 12x14s others seem to have.

Same here. I have all 14 x 12 at home but handle DN frames at the association apiary. The weight of a full frame of brood in a 14 x 12 is very satisfying.

No...years away I hope. When we get too old to work the land.
Husband has a hankering for his homeland. I am very happy here.

pargyle

Just read the above 'ley lines' article, I don't think it harms the basic 'Dave Cushman' site as a text book for beekeepers as it's clearly attributable to RP

Happy new Year

richard

pargyle

Just read the above 'ley lines' article, I don't think it harms the basic 'Dave Cushman' site as a text book for beekeepers as it's clearly attributable to RP

Happy new Year

richard

I don't have an issue with Leylines - as I said earlier, I actually dowse to site my hives and I have purely circumstantial evidence that using the dowsing rods to determine the point to site a hive actually results in a better, healthier and easier to manage colony so I'm with RP on what he says but ...

The issue I have is that the site, when it was DC's, was very much a fact based site - there was very little of Dave Cushman's personal opinion on there - what is happening now that Roger is looking after it, is that there is a lot of Roger's PERSONAL opinion and views creeping in. I know Roger has the remit to do what he will but some of his 'opinions' fly very much in the face of modern beekeeping - and he does have some significant prejudices.

I'm not going to harp on about it much more - my view, as I said in my OP, is that RP's 'opinions' detract from the site rather than add to it. People new to beekeeping, in particular, may take from the site the wrong impression as RP does tend to lean in his own direction at times.

I would rather see a less partial view presented a la Dave Cushman - but that's just my opinion. Credit to Roger for taking the job on and preserving what could only be described as the ultimate beekeeping INFORMATION site .. I just hope it remains so and does not get skewed into something more like Rogers Book ...

I'm not going to harp on about it much more

Good.

But at least now we have your PERSONAL opinion on this website about what you think of Roger putting his PERSONAL opinion is on HIS website, for what it's worth, which is ?

Last edited:
I do find the site good for when im making parts as it gives you plans to build things.

Not again Ley line dowsing. Its tosh as shown my serious studies on the matter but people will believe what they want. :hairpull:

Good.

But at least now we have your PERSONAL opinion on this website about what you think of Roger putting his PERSONAL opinion is on HIS website, for what it's worth, which is ?

Two very different situations Pete, this is a forum for discussion and discussion it has certainly provoked ... be a bit boring without differing opinions wouldn't it ?

DC''s website did not and does not provide for discussion - it was designed to be informative so, IMO and (obviously not Roger's) it should just provide information and not opinion ... but as you point out and I have always said - it's his site, his prerogative.

It's always possible to improve a masterpiece ...

That bees may prefer sites that have landmarks for easy navigation is plausible, but not yet proven. That bees go to sites with some energy based on a 250hz signal is not plausible.

Good.

The point being that THIS site is SUPPOSED to be a forum for exchanging opinions - whereas the value of the Cushman site has been about it being a repository of reliable factual INFORMATION, with personal opinion and preference taking a back seat.
As such, it had a different character and a special value.

That has, under the new management, changed.

Whether one agrees or disagrees with the opinions expressed, it is plain that the site is becoming another platform for Mr Patterson's personal opinions.

And IMHO, that is making it "just another beekeeper's hobbyhorse" rather than the authoritative source of factual information that Cushman worked so hard to create.

What was good about it was that it could be relied on (at least more so than any other beekeeping site that I know of) to be free of contentious opinions.

By failing to recognise the site's true asset, it is being devalued.

If Mr Patterson wanted to promote his own opinions, he could easily put them on his own website. Under his own 'brand name'.
As it is, he is simply promoting his own opinions, using the Cushman name (and IMHO thereby devaluing it).
This seems to be acting more like a Beneficiary of the estate than like a Trustee of the assets.
He may be perfectly entitled to do so, but it is nevertheless sad to see the site's value to the beekeeping community being diluted in this way.

Here's a good example of the confusion which now exists :
http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/swarmconnuc.html

Is this a 'Dave Cushman' page - containing unbiased information which that guy collated during his lifetime, or is it a Roger Patterson page ? RP has his signature at the bottom of the page, therefore I assume it's the latter - but the banner at the page header says 'Dave Cushman'.

I think there's a very real risk of the Dave Cushman site becoming adulterated to the point where it ceases to be 'what it says on the tin'.

LJ

Jeez - I've just realised - it looks like much of the swarming stuff has RP's monica attached, yet it has been written in the same style (typefaces, layout etc) as Dave's original. It's not being made at all clear which is the original text. Shameful.

Last edited:
That has, under the new management, changed.

Most things change under new management/ownership, i see no problem with it, i have become used to things changing over the years, some people obviously cannot stick change.

Back