Dana Apitherma vs Kochstar Baby Bottler

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

PaleoPerson 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
I am looking to purchase a device for honey warming/filtering and the two main contenders are:

a/ The Dana Apitherma
or
B/ The Kochstar Baby Bottler

Has anyone any experience of either and your comments would be appreciated.
:confused:

Poly Hive 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
What are you looking to achieve and what quantity are you looking at working with?

PH

sahtlinurk 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
offtopic to PaleoPerson -you got really cool avatar picture!:cheers2: but did you know that on the bucket is written " MESI" which means "honey" in Estonian language :)

PaleoPerson 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
What are you looking to achieve and what quantity are you looking at working with?

PH
I am trying to achieve honey liquefying for final filtering and bottling but not to any great scale. Although warming boxes are very frequently used to great success, I personally would like something different. Just preference really. The Mellitherm system appeals to me but too expensive and too big for my requirements.

I like the Dana because of price and I like the Kochstar due to its sealed/covered mode of operation and the consistency in temperature (I hope).

Rick

PaleoPerson 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
offtopic to PaleoPerson -you got really cool avatar picture!:cheers2: but did you know that on the bucket is written " MESI" which means "honey" in Estonian language :)
Yup, I did, but I did have to look it up first. :cheers2:

Poly Hive 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
To be honest and I have no experience of these fancy systems I would suggest converting a chest or work top fridge to work with bulbs and a thermostat.

Mine which I used long distance, (20 miles) did 200 odd lbs at a time over 36 hours to liquid by using three 60 watt bulbs and a rather crude thermostat. Out of a immersion heater actually.

Then filter through a spin dryer using suitable micron cloth. Then you will have immaculately clean honey.

PH

Latest posts