Sublimox vs Varrox safety

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Apologies in advance for another question / thread about vaporisers, but want to make the right decision re my next purchase. I am leaning towards getting the Sublimox for next season - speed, quality, reliability, easy of use, effectiveness. If Varrox I’d get the real deal vs Chinese copy. Also your feedback suggests it’s effective and reliable though not as fast. Only doubt in my mind now is safety, as this device is hand held whereas the Varrox you can walk away. I’ve recently bought some better goggles and a proper 3M half mask with organic acid (pink & yellow) filters. Looking at u tube videos you still have to be careful. Hubbie not convinced re safety after showing him the video. Also a recent comment on here has suggested using Sublimox can get on your clothing. Presumably from leaks into hive from the device...
What is your experience of using both devices pls re safety?
Thanks
Elaine

I’ve only used Varrox and find from a safety perspective it is fine. I can get away from the hive as there‘s a couple of minutes before any vapour escapes, ensuring I’m upwind. I disengage from the battery after two and a half minutes or so and just leave the hive alone for three minutes or so before removing cloths used to block gaps and remove the wand. I have never had any issue from a safety perspective at all.

I have no concerns for myself using pan type vapourisers, connect walkaway. I make sure the area around the hive is safe from third parties when deciding to treat. The Sublimox I have no experience of so can't offer a view.

Sublimox Varroa Vapouriser Now Available To Buy In The UK - Bing video

This 60 second usage of it may not inspire you Elaine.

Sublimox APF-Plus apf plus.mp4 - Bing video
This usage from 4 mins to 5.30 mins looks a lot better until you get to the 5 odd mins when you see the user then decides to release the vape tray and looks to be down wind.

Plenty other videos out there to watch.
For the small scale keeper you have to wonder if the cost and lugging bulky heavy gear around is necessary. The main point seems to be quick ness of application once set up.

Last edited:
I love my sublimox
I keep the Varrox just in case but would never go back to using it
I just make sure I have proper PPE and sublimating either from the top after harvest or at the bottom later today the nozzle goes into a tailored hole and I get no escape of sublimate outside.

Reactions: mbc
If done as Dani has said it should be safe, any concern's about escaping vape should be overcome by making sure all gaps/entrance's are sealed for 5 -10 mins.

I have vaped using home made pan - 5 years and well over 100 vapes.
Always wear gloves, eye covering and a proper mask. I ensure no skin is visible and wear a boiler suit with jacket and veil on top.
Load up cold tray, insert in hive, plug entrance, connect battery, walk away for 4 minutes, disconnect battery ,remove tray, replug entrance with expanded soft foam
Cool tray in bucket of water.
Start again.

I carry everything in a wheelbarrow so minimal lifting. 3 meter long leads for access.

Zero risk of any fumes if you walk away upwind..

I refuse to allow any watchers downwind and demand they stay 10 meters away upwind - unless fully masked etc.

Wash all outer clothes afterwards.

Never had any issues.

It's very simple Health and Safety.

I love my sublimox
I just make sure I have proper PPE and sublimating either from the top after harvest or at the bottom later today the nozzle goes into a tailored hole and I get no escape of sublimate outside.
:iagree::iagree::iagree:

The fact that the Sublimox device controls the vaporisation tempurature sold it to me
Probably the safest and most effective kit on the market, especially if colony vaped from the top over the frames with a simple to make hood.... a clip can be made to hold device in place... do not modify ejector hose!
Run mine from a small generator fixed in the back of the Defender

I have both and keep the Varrox to loan out.

I love my sublimox

Dani, your previous posts have stimulated me to try vaping from the top (I use a Gasvap). Will be trying it in two days' time, for the first time, via a hole drilled in the eke-side of the crown boards. Now you have reverted to vaping from the bottom! Why, may I ask?

Dani, your previous posts have stimulated me to try vaping from the top (I use a Gasvap). Will be trying it in two days' time, for the first time, via a hole drilled in the eke-side of the crown boards. Now you have reverted to vaping from the bottom! Why, may I ask?
Only because the vaping ekes come off after autumn treatment. I don’t like leaving the space at the top and I don’t like taking the crownboard off to add the eke this time of year. The winter vape is the only one done at the bottom now.
Pargyle is talking about vaping through the feeder hole which could be an option with some sort of adapter but I have packs of fondant part full of bees on at the moment, f

I vape from the top and it takes seconds to put an eke in and seconds to take off. I did some at the apiary of the local education museum today and the temp in the sun was about 12 degC so the bees hardly noticed.

With the purpose drilled hole in the floor, I don't see any real need in making an eke at all, you can clearly see it has done a perfect job as the sublimate is coming from under the roof.

Used my sublimox today as well,. Follow the precautions outlined above and its not so bad. I'd further emphasise the importance for a good quality full face mask.

I think any more than 10 hives you need to start looking at something better than pan vaporising and especially if you are considering increasing.

With the purpose drilled hole in the floor, I don't see any real need in making an eke at all, you can clearly see it has done a perfect job as the sublimate is coming from under the roof.
I find if I don’t close the entrance a lot of sublimate gets pushed out of the entrance slot. Having an eke let’s me vape any time of day because I don’t need to close the entrance

I love my sublimox
Agree 100%. Have had both and there is no comparison so much so I just got rid of the Varrox. As for safety wear the appropriate mask and there simply isn't an issue.

Latest posts

Back