Sublimox vs Varrox safety

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know there's talk of masks, but I was wondering what you thought of the Bhutan Gasvap?,
I've watched a few videos it's only a little Diddy thing and I wonder vapping a few hives like 20 or 30 how it would stand up in comparison to my sublimox??
Quite a few people have them on here including me ... theres been a recent thread about it...I've used Varrox, a cheapo Romanian one and the gas vap. There are positive and negative for all of them... I think the Rolls Royce is the sublimox with a handbag generator but I can't justify the cost.. more so as I don't treat my own bees !

Quite a few people have them on here including me ... theres been a recent thread about it...I've used Varrox, a cheapo Romanian one and the gas vap. There are positive and negative for all of them... I think the Rolls Royce is the sublimox with a handbag generator but I can't justify the cost.. more so as I don't treat my own bees !
As I've said I have the sublimox and it's really good but... Thought the gasvap would be even easier as it's smaller and you don't need to drive around with a gen..
I was wondering how it would perform when vapping 20 or so colonys at once could I use a bigger gas bottle?
Our noobs are looking also for something vapish for next year and after finding out how much the sublimox costs, they don't want to spend hundreds of pounds..

As I've said I have the sublimox and it's really good but... Thought the gasvap would be even easier as it's smaller and you don't need to drive around with a gen..
I was wondering how it would perform when vapping 20 or so colonys at once could I use a bigger gas bottle?
Our noobs are looking also for something vapish for next year and after finding out how much the sublimox costs, they don't want to spend hundreds of pounds..
You don't need a bigger gas bottle ... I use the same torch for lighting my smoker and one charge lasts for a lot of smoker lights ... the little tubes of butane (intended for cigarette lighters) are very small, cost buttons and do several recharges and recharging the torch (if needs be) takes seconds.

You don't need a bigger gas bottle ... I use the same torch for lighting my smoker and one charge lasts for a lot of smoker lights ... the little tubes of butane (intended for cigarette lighters) are very small, cost buttons and do several recharges and recharging the torch (if needs be) takes seconds.
That's good to know thanks Philip.
I will get the noobs to look at them.

Nozzle size is important to consider.
What for the refills ? The refill tubes I buy come with a lid that had about 6 or 7 nozzle connverters so whatever size the input spigot into the torch is it fits.

If you mean the torch nozzle - yes - it needs to fit in the end of the torch but the latest version of the Gasvap has a thumbscrew that holds the nozzle in place a bit more firmly than the earlier versions which didn't have it.

I've just finished using the Gasvap on all 60 of the hives I have or look after. The Gasvap is good but I find after about 4 or 5 hives I needed to top up the torch to maintain the pressure and hence the temperature. I have the torch that is supplied with the Gasvap which after the last couple of days is starting to look a little "used" (the nozzle is starting to waggle a bit and the igniter is intermittent)
I think it's a great bit of kit for a few hives but I think I may be at the limit of it practical use. I'll look into a more robust heat source or maybe bite the bullet and invest in the sublimox.

I've just finished using the Gasvap on all 60 of the hives I have or look after. The Gasvap is good but I find after about 4 or 5 hives I needed to top up the torch to maintain the pressure and hence the temperature. I have the torch that is supplied with the Gasvap which after the last couple of days is starting to look a little "used" (the nozzle is starting to waggle a bit and the igniter is intermittent)
I think it's a great bit of kit for a few hives but I think I may be at the limit of it practical use. I'll look into a more robust heat source or maybe bite the bullet and invest in the sublimox.
The Sublimox device is one of the few that has a tempurature control system to ensure the vaporisation tempurature of the OA is spot on... not too sure what happens if the OA dihidride crystals have been adulterated with sugar/glucose etc?

Agree with Neil, these torches do a tidy job but they play up after extended use and the igniter sometimes refuses to work.

Back