Varrox vs cheaper Chinese versions

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, my cheap Thornes vaporiser is on the way out. The head fell off yesterday whilst doing my winter oxalic vaping of each colony. Still working, but will definitely need an upgrade next season. I vape under the OMF of my WBCS, using a slide in metal tray to hold the vaporiser & plugging any gaps with foam, also vap under Nucs using a hardboard cut out for the Vaporiser beneath.

There are lots of Chinese copies of the Varrox on eBay, significantly cheaper than the original (c£25 vs £100+). Anyone know the difference? Does the old adage 'you get what you pay for' apply & if so, what's the difference?
Appreciate your feedback
Elaine

There are lots of Chinese copies of everything on ebay and other on line sites.

Some are OK
Some are very good
Some are total rubbish.

My Varrox vaporiser is still in occasional use 10 years on... I prefer the Sublimox as it has built in electronic control to vaporise OA at the correct temputature.

Nadelik Lowen

Hi, my cheap Thornes vaporiser is on the way out. The head fell off yesterday whilst doing my winter oxalic vaping of each colony. Still working, but will definitely need an upgrade next season. I vape under the OMF of my WBCS, using a slide in metal tray to hold the vaporiser & plugging any gaps with foam, also vap under Nucs using a hardboard cut out for the Vaporiser beneath.

There are lots of Chinese copies of the Varrox on eBay, significantly cheaper than the original (c£25 vs £100+). Anyone know the difference? Does the old adage 'you get what you pay for' apply & if so, what's the difference?
Appreciate your feedback
Elaine

Amazon sell them. I read the feedback. Seems a lottery - some last, some do not..
I would beware of any which come with thin looking wire. Apart from the resistance to the moderately high currents involved, thin wire tends to break with frequent bending.

I made my own using battery charging cables which are much much thicker, and a diesel engine glowplug attached to a cooper tray (formed from copper water pipe). So far it has lasted 5 seasons and approx 200 vapings.

I heve previously used a cheap 12v vapouriser (Czech made) and it still works well. However I now have a GasVap (cost ~ £70) and it is now my preferred tool. I do believe that it needs to be used carefully to avoid overheating the OA (producing formic acid) but otherwise it is quicker to use and easier to get the vapour into the hive, even with nucs or poly hives. Worth considering.

I heve previously used a cheap 12v vapouriser (Czech made) and it still works well. However I now have a GasVap (cost ~ £70) and it is now my preferred tool. I do believe that it needs to be used carefully to avoid overheating the OA (producing formic acid) but otherwise it is quicker to use and easier to get the vapour into the hive, even with nucs or poly hives. Worth considering.
I seriously looked at the gas torch chamber devices, but was very concerned as to the probability of overheating the OA taking place. Plus the demonstration model I saw got dangerously hot.
The open to air spoon type would not get up to formic acid production as the OA would sublimate before the pressure and temperatures that are required to form formic acid could be produced.
For me it is either a quality product the Varrox spoon type or the chamber Sublimox

IMOHO

Nadelik Lowen

I bought a cheap glow plu/ aluminium pan type off eBay about ten year ago. Still going strong. Sorry I do not know the model after all this time.

I seriously looked at the gas torch chamber devices, but was very concerned as to the probability of overheating the OA taking place.
I've always been more concerned in retaining the ability to count up to ten without removing my socks.

:icon_204-2:
I CAN GET UP TO NINE AND A HALF !
Bloody winches.:cry:

Nadelik Lowen
Being from a mining community, many seem to be missing a digit or two, in fact,, when she worked behind the bar at the club she was convinced it was mandatory for full membership. When they made me chairman she begged me to always wear gloves on deck!

I seriously looked at the gas torch chamber devices, but was very concerned as to the probability of overheating the OA taking place. Plus the demonstration model I saw got dangerously hot.
The open to air spoon type would not get up to formic acid production as the OA would sublimate before the pressure and temperatures that are required to form formic acid could be produced.
For me it is either a quality product the Varrox spoon type or the chamber Sublimox

IMOHO

Nadelik Lowen
Thanks for the advice. I like the look of the Sublimox but a bit concerned whether it would work at the entrance to my WBCs due to the limited space (height) at the entrance, between the landing board and the porch (c3 inches) & wonder if it would fit? Also a big investment. I've looked at the GasVap & videos online, it looks a bit dangerous to me & I'm not sure I'd trust it. Given the comments made about wiring & my experience to date with a cheap pan device, I'd rather pay a bit more for a solid, reliable piece of kit ie the Varrox, that's going to last & most important, do the job effectively.
Elaine

Thanks for the advice. I like the look of the Sublimox but a bit concerned whether it would work at the entrance to my WBCs due to the limited space (height) at the entrance, between the landing board and the porch (c3 inches) & wonder if it would fit? Also a big investment. I've looked at the GasVap & videos online, it looks a bit dangerous to me & I'm not sure I'd trust it. Given the comments made about wiring & my experience to date with a cheap pan device, I'd rather pay a bit more for a solid, reliable piece of kit ie the Varrox, that's going to last & most important, do the job effectively.
Elaine

Vape from the top.. use a vaping hood, easy to make!

Latest posts

Back