Honey dryer advice please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alltddu

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I am looking at buying a honey dryer, about 50-80kg. I see Abelo have a Lyson one that looks quite good. Has anyone got one? How to they compare to the Konigin and Swienty ones? Any others? What are your experiences of these? I've never had one before but have had a lot of high moisture content honey the last couple of years and not had much luck with a dehumidifier with the quantity of honey I get.

The late Peter Little (aka Hivemaker on here) was the only poster who mentioned honey dryers with any experience AFAIK. IIRC he (although possibly one of his sons) made one in his workshop.
Sorry not much help.

The late Peter Little (aka Hivemaker on here) was the only poster who mentioned honey dryers with any experience AFAIK. IIRC he (although possibly one of his sons) made one in his workshop.
Sorry not much help.
When I was works engineer at the glucose plant we evaporated water from glucose syrup from 40% solids to 85% solids at low temperature under a vacuum. Since our output was ten tons an hour of final product you probably aren't considering the required steam raising, pumping and evaporation kit plus a cooling tower as economically viable.😎. Seriously though bees seem to achieve the desired result by forced draught evaporation at hive ambient temperatures. A small pump circulating honey over a stainless steel or food grade plastic plate/channel with a fan draught to induce evaporation might be a basis for a home brewed design? Coincidentially Last of the Summer Wine has just been on here and Seymour Utterthwaite the inventor wallah would have jumped at the job.

When I was works engineer at the glucose plant we evaporated water from glucose syrup from 40% solids to 85% solids at low temperature under a vacuum. Since our output was ten tons an hour of final product you probably aren't considering the required steam raising, pumping and evaporation kit plus a cooling tower as economically viable.😎. Seriously though bees seem to achieve the desired result by forced draught evaporation at hive ambient temperatures. A small pump circulating honey over a stainless steel or food grade plastic plate/channel with a fan draught to induce evaporation might be a basis for a home brewed design? Coincidentially Last of the Summer Wine has just been on here and Seymour Utterthwaite the inventor wallah would have jumped at the job.
Part of the problem with a home made solution is space. The ones that are for sale (for small quantities like mine) are quite compact and fast. The extracting room is already crammed! The home made ones seem to need to take up space for several days. I think 50-70kg which in spring may be every day for a few weeks (we get osr so it can't wait), would need to be processed quickly not over days. Just like I said, until we manage to convert another room in the barn, it's just not practical.

Part of the problem with a home made solution is space. The ones that are for sale (for small quantities like mine) are quite compact and fast. The extracting room is already crammed! The home made ones seem to need to take up space for several days. I think 50-70kg which in spring may be every day for a few weeks (we get osr so it can't wait), would need to be processed quickly not over days. Just like I said, until we manage to convert another room in the barn, it's just not practical.
In fact I've almost decided to go for the Lega because it's smaller ...

Latest posts

Back