Cut comb presentation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David1976

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I've been asked to supply some cut comb this year, both blossom and heather.

I have pichased a comb cutter and i'm looking for some inspiration as to how to present this. can anyone recommend a particular case/box to use or post a photo of their preferred method?
Cheers

case/box to use
The boxes available in the UK are cheap and nasty. By far the best option is the Ozmert Plastik box made in Turkey, used widely in Europe and sold through UK honey suppliers pre-loaded with Hungarian acacia.

Here's a picture of the Ozmert box (Hungarian in the neat Ozmert, UK honey not shown, but undoubtedly not) and here.

We have to put up with this sort of box, or this, takeaway things which might be found at the back of a fridge storing leftovers for too long.

The Americans do boxes properly but the shipping costs kills a deal. I contacted Bee Equipment a couple of years ago and suggested they import these boxes from the US (they had a Mann Lake link at the time) and though they took up the idea, what turned up (for a while) in the BE catalogue were Chinese copies embossed with Chinese writing, which was a weird decision given that Chinese honey has a poor reputation and we want to fill boxes with local honey.

A few years ago I emailed the production manager at Ozmert and he was helpful and willing to sell me boxes, but a shipping container was the minimum! I heard more recently of a UK source; might be Denrosa Apiaries, because Murray produced over 100 tons of heather honey last year and has the need.

Last edited:
We have to put up with this sort of box,
I think they're excellent, just put them in a little cardboard case supplied by most sellers and they're fine, everyone who sees them loves them - hate these crystal cartons that everyone raves about

Do you know any suppliers in the eu?
No. I found the Ozmert by looking for the manufacturer on the back of a Hillside box in my local greengrocer (had to shift the label a bit) and went from there.

Have increasing certainty that Denrosa is the UK source (or may only be hoping).

Rang Hillside last year and had the predictable answer: their CC comes direct from Hungary pre-loaded.

Last edited:
The boxes available widely are cheap and nasty. By far the best option is the Ozmert Plastik box made in Turkey, used widely in Europe and sold through UK honey suppliers pre-loaded with Hungarian acacia.

Here's a picture of the Ozmert box (Hungarian in the neat Ozmert, UK honey not shown, but undoubtedly not) and here.

We have to put up with this sort of box, or this, takeaway things which might be found at the back of a fridge storing leftovers for too long.

The Americans do boxes properly but the shipping costs kills a deal. I contacted Bee Equipment a couple of years ago and suggested they import these boxes from the US (they had a Mann Lake link at the time) and though they took up the idea, what turned up (for a while) in the BE catalogue were Chinese copies embossed with Chinese writing, which was a weird decision given that Chinese honey has a poor reputation and we want to fill boxes with local honey.

A few years ago I emailed the production manager at Ozmert and he was helpful and willing to sell me boxes, but a shipping container was the minimum! I heard more recently of a UK source; might be Denrosa Apiaries, because Murray produced over 100 tons of heather honey last year and has the need.
Perhaps Thornes would be open to your feedback, being the largest bee supplier in the Uk Eric? Worth sharing your thoughts with Rebecca? Sounds you have some very good suggestions.

Having said that I had good feedback on the few pieces I sold / gave as gifts last year in crystal containers. Cut with a knife like Dani does and presented in the cardboard boxes supplied by Thorne. Planning to do more this year

Attachments

• 8E3ECB33-6688-477C-834E-DFB94934EC80.jpeg
    8E3ECB33-6688-477C-834E-DFB94934EC80.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 5DCA5F39-9D2E-4234-92FA-FE8BE9C0BB76.jpeg
    5DCA5F39-9D2E-4234-92FA-FE8BE9C0BB76.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thing is, the crystal boxes look as though they use more plastic than the not very beautiful simple white containers. I love the Ozmert. Please keep us updated on your progress. I'll take 100. J

The boxes available in the UK are cheap and nasty. By far the best option is the Ozmert Plastik box made in Turkey, used widely in Europe and sold through UK honey suppliers pre-loaded with Hungarian acacia.

Bee Equipment do these which are the same size as the American cut comb containers, but they aren't as rigid. Rather, they are made of thinner plastic more like a margarine tub and feel flimsier.
I found them disappointing compared to the American containers but was much happier with them than the UK ones and the ones I received didn't have any Chinese text on them.

more like a margarine tub and feel flimsier.
That's the one to avoid! 🙂

I'm looking for a strong box of contemporary design to take to market. The clamshell doesn't cut it; the margarine tubs are better, esp. with a card sleeve or box.

The Chinese writing on the Ozmert replicas won't appear on either of the current UK boxes because they're made elsewhere. BE took the idea of the Ozmert but found a cheap Alibaba alternative.

Discovered that the mould for the Ozmert box is owned by a UK honey trader; have emailed to ask for retail quantity and price. Drawback of that box is that it's non-recyclable, but customers could be offered a refill or asked to re-purpose it.
Good bit of detective work Eric

Latest posts

Back