Cut out advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
It's a fairly fluid thing.... more than 10, less than 15
The homeowner of my lost swarm at the weekend has a colony of bees in a twin walled shed in their garden which is where we think the swarm came from (she said they pretty much swarm every year).

I would like to cut them out as the shed is due to be demolished fairly soon and she would like me to put a hive in her garden, so win win.

So some advice please - what are the main things I need to do or look out for? I've attached a photo as the entrance is only about 8 feet off the ground and the shed isn’t massive so would hope it would be fairly straightforward (or as much as it can be with bees involved!).

Apart from dismantling the shed, cutting out comb and putting between empty frames with string or elastic bands, finding the queen and getting everything into a brood box or nuc, is there anything else I need to consider? Should I leave them to re queen in case that is where the swarm came from or does that risk cast swarms emerging?
If I remove them and put them in her garden - about 100 metres away, how do I stop them returning to the shed?
IMG_1311.jpeg

Last edited:
If its an option, could you get them into a nuc or hive and move it 3 miles for a couple of weeks then move it back? If not, I guess that if you have the queen and bias, many will stay put anyway.

Remove every trace of the nest(preferably the shed too)
Smoke or spray lots of water over the area afterwards.
Leave the brood container for them overnight.
Wear at least one extra layer of clothing and keep everyone else away while your doing it as they won't be taking prisoners-even when the job is finished and you take off your veil.
Having someone to help cut out or stow comb will make for a quicker less stressful job for everyone.
Prioritise comb with exclusive brood and leave that with stores for reclaiming if needs must.
The shape of the comb will probably not match that of a frame so there will be sacrifice anyway.Make sure comb that was attached at the sides goes in upright-easy to put it in at 90degrees when you're being pelted.

Buckets of water or a hosepipe. You won't believe how sticky you will get with nectar running out of comb. A trash can for unsaveable comb and if you can get one, a bee vac.

To stop other bees taking up residence fill the void with glass fibre insulation when you are finished.

Use elastic bands not string, believe me you don't want to be fafing around tying knots in honey laden string. A bee vac if you have access to one would be an asset as you could use it to very temporary holding pen for bees while you cut out the comb.

Take care when taking the shed apart (another reason for the bee vac) as any sort of power saw to cut apart the shed will annoy them.

Latest posts

Back