Beekeeping Shed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Any advice (or links) on the best sheds to buy. I currently store all my supers etc in my home and garage and need to move them all out. Currently have 15 hives so need a largish shed to be put in my field (2 acres). I’m told if it has wheels on planning permission not required.

Any advice (or links) on the best sheds to buy. I currently store all my supers etc in my home and garage and need to move them all out. Currently have 15 hives so need a largish shed to be put in my field (2 acres). I’m told if it has wheels on planning permission not required.
Sorry admin I have posted this twice can u remove one.

I would have thought a shipping container would be ok as it is moveable, secure, dry, and a good size!

As I understand it if the building is movable or able to be dismantled it won’t require planning. So as Enrico says a shipping container is ideal but could be expensive if you had to move it at sometime. I think the idea as far as planning is concerned is that they don’t won’t a building with foundations as you may try to build some habitable in the future.

All my supers are stored on pallets, plastic and wood, using hive floors, crownboards and rooves, tied down with ratchet straps. I used to store some in small Keter sheds but there was always a mouse problem with nests being made, after getting through small holes. I have one super to work on this season, a small section fell off due to the grain, which needs repairing and has aluminium tape in place temporarily.

As I understand it if the building is movable or able to be dismantled it won’t require planning.

The case law for "temporary structures" is torturous. As far as I recall "temporary" is generally interpreted as being present for no longer than 28 days regardless of whether the structure can be moved or removed.

What might provide an acceptable solution probably depends on what the OP feels is required. Is security an issue, for example, or would merely being out of sight be sufficient? Or could they just be stacked on pallets with a tarp thrown over the top and strapped down?

James

After a major reorganisation of the yard, I'm hoping for a nice lean to or similar for storage alongside the huge shed due to be built.

Perhaps a shepherds hut would also provide some nice ascetics
https://thecabincompany.co.uk/us-info/these folks did one for me and I can recommend them. Not cheap but well made.

The case law for "temporary structures" is torturous. As far as I recall "temporary" is generally interpreted as being present for no longer than 28 days regardless of whether the structure can be moved or removed.

What might provide an acceptable solution probably depends on what the OP feels is required. Is security an issue, for example, or would merely being out of sight be sufficient? Or could they just be stacked on pallets with a tarp thrown over the top and strapped down?

James
It probably depends on the particular county planning enforcement. However I know of an instance whereby a steel shipping container was proposed and suitable enquiry received the answer no permission was necessary. To make it less obtrusive the owner painted it green. It's vandal proof and fireproof.

It probably depends on the particular county planning enforcement. However I know of an instance whereby a steel shipping container was proposed and suitable enquiry received the answer no permission was necessary. To make it less obtrusive the owner painted it green. It's vandal proof and fireproof.

To be honest it can even depend on which planning officer gets assigned your case. We've had an application flat-out rejected, reapplied with a modified design and eventually been told by the person handling the second application that they could see no problem with the original plans and would quite happily have accepted it had they been the one dealing with it.

James

I bought a 10x6 pent shed from a local company. Bought it a couple of years ago for £800 I think. No planning permission required. It does the trick to store spare equipment for the 25 hives I have. I would suggest looking on gumtree or other for a local company who can also put it up for you .

Part of the reason I'm slowly moving the majority of my small collection to work. Besides being a lovely place, and plentiful resources for the bees. I get to look after the bees at work in slack time, and I have half a container I use. Plus there's another 40ft one, just need to clear the crap out of it, though no need for it at the minute. Feeling so fortunate

Latest posts

Back