Cut comb presentation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the one to avoid! 🙂

I'm looking for a strong box of contemporary design to take to market. The clamshell doesn't cut it; the margarine tubs are better, esp. with a card sleeve or box.

The Chinese writing on the Ozmert replicas won't appear on either of the current UK boxes because they're made elsewhere. BE took the idea of the Ozmert but found a cheap Alibaba alternative.
I don't like the UK boxes. They are too small; after a couple of pieces of toast the honey is half gone. The BE ones take a sensible amount which is why I prefer them. They also let you see the comb which is good I think, but I agree they don't flatter the product due to their general flimsiness and cheap feel. I use them for gifts and once or twice when I've been asked for comb honey and they are ok for that.

I'd love to get hold of some of the larger rigid containers and hope you manage to find a supplier for your needs. If you ever need people to bulk up numbers to put in for an order, I'd go for 100!

I hadn't thought of tins, but google threw up these and these which look interesting. These people seem to sell something similar. Apparently they are laquered internally. I think I'll try a box and see what they're like.

Also I noticed this supplier offers rigid boxes which I think are these from AliExpress. The boxes look a bit peculiar but they might be ok.

If you ever need people to bulk up numbers to put in for an order, I'd go for 100!
Good research, Ambler!

The plastic boxes look the part. They must give the centre section to the bees to fill, and just put a lid on top and bottom.

I like tins.

Dropped in the office today and saw samples sent in by beekeepers from all corners of the world. This round ply box looked good:

IMG_20221130_115709412~2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20221130_115649675~2.jpg
    IMG_20221130_115649675~2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Dropped in the office today and saw samples sent in by beekeepers from all corners of the world. This round ply box looked good:
Very nice! Is that a Ross Round inside?

In tin news, it seems tins leak. Even though "The honey is in a hard plastic case with a lid and then all packaged in a nice tin" (n)

Is that a Ross Round inside?
No, it's the size of a dinner plate!

The British lost the habit of buying comb honey more than 80 years ago and now don't quite know what to do with it, but many of my customers are from the EU or the Middle East, where they have high regard for honey, inc. comb.

Brits may not have come across comb honey before but they're willing to pay well to try it, esp. as an Xmas treat, so smaller packs suit demand.

Last edited:
I think access to extractors was the doom of comb honey. Back in the day some of the numbers esp the Irish numbers of sections per colony were eye watering.

PH

I found these boxes at Bookers, half a frame per box no off cuts or messing about. Lids aren’t great but boxes are sturdy just needing a couple of bits a tape to secure.

Attachments

• 73B5DFA2-E118-4EC9-A2EF-1A51D37EA791.jpeg
    73B5DFA2-E118-4EC9-A2EF-1A51D37EA791.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
Back