Creosote and bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
creosote

By sheer coincidence I attended a lecture last night by Willie Robson, a prominent beekeeper in the Scottish Borders (around 2,500 hives). On the subject of creosote he said that it taints the wax and the honey, but more importantly disturbs the bees and can cause increased mortality, increased aggression and an increased propensity to swarm (note, this is Willie talking, not me). I'm no expert but it sounds like a transfer might be prudent.

I've just "Hoovered" my office but I used a Dyson cleaner. So did this man actually use creosote or did he use some other sort of wood preservative and used the term to describe the act of coating the wood.

Several pages spent so far on this topic but it won't go any further until the substance has been identified.

However, unless the individual used something bee-friendly he doesn't sound as if he is going to be a great joy to work with.

Hope things are ok with the bees

However, whether it is creosote or not I would still be livid that someone took it upon themselves to paint the hives with ANYTHING without consulting the other people in the group first

Good luck Kaz

I have a standard brood box and a couple of supers if thats any help, in liverpool

Hi must be wrong, creosoting is not a legal compound for treating timber any more (I think) - its banned isnt it. In a general sense you have to check the compounds you use to treat the hives external wood.

He cant be using creosote.

If your hive is made from cedar then just leave it as it is.

If he has really used creosote then god help the bees, it will smell for years! not sure of short/long term damage but it wont be a benefit thats for sure.

JD

Probably using a creosote substitute which looks similar and even smells a little like it, but you can't buy creosote any more.

I think there are tins still knocking around, its a bit like mothballs - some people have stocks.

Why would anyone want to stock moth balls,you can buy them anytime.

Hi Kaz,
I had a similar problem many years ago. I would change the hive and ask questions about exactly what he painted the hive with later.

Good Luck.
Hope it works out ok.

And keep him away from your bees.

Kev

Why would anyone want to stock moth balls,you can buy them anytime.

No, the old fashioned naptha mothballs were withdrawn some time ago and the new ones are no good.

just in case anyone does want some, it is still possible to buy proper, harmfull toxic creosote there is a firm nottingham way that sells it, but you have to be able to load and unload a 205 litre drum of it cheap to at only £125,

personal i think i will stick to the sadolin for the hives and the modern creosote for the fence panels at the allotment

No, the old fashioned naptha mothballs were withdrawn some time ago and the new ones are no good.

Whats the difference between naptha and Naphthalene?
Also the stuff we can no longer use in supers ect, is easily available, paradichlorobenzene,used in most public loo's ect

Last edited:
I've just "Hoovered" my office but I used a Dyson cleaner. So did this man actually use creosote or did he use some other sort of wood preservative and used the term to describe the act of coating the wood.

Several pages spent so far on this topic but it won't go any further until the substance has been identified.

However, unless the individual used something bee-friendly he doesn't sound as if he is going to be a great joy to work with.

As I was catching up on this thread reading through I thought the same as RT but he beat me to posting. Worth double checking what was used first.
:ack2:

presumably the EU were lobbied hard by the various creosote using industries with vested interests!

"Yes it is dangerous an joe public shouldn't use or be exposed to it BUT your livelihoods depend upon it so you can keep using it on fences you install for joe public and as JP can't buy creosote he'll have to keep coming back to you for retreatment every 5-10 years - how does that sound?"

You can buy it near where I live whoever you are, but only in 5 gal drums and not from B & Q etc.

You can buy it near where I live whoever you are, but only in 5 gal drums and not from B & Q etc.

Same round this way,sold by most agricultural dealers,and sawmills....but for napthalene mothballs try e bay.

Thank you guys for your offers of help, that really is very kind of you all. My emails haven't been answered so I don't know what was used exactly. I suppose we will find out tomorrow when we have the meeting to do the after treatment ( Apilife ) inspection and to start feeding, as our whole group will be there. It's my birthday tomorrow too and I was looking forward to having a nice chilled out nosey about the hive after not being able to have a look for 4 weeks.

I went down today to see what was what, not that I know anything about wood preservatives. He had done the back and both sides, but not the front. The landing board had some from the sides which had soaked along a bit, but not near the entrance as it's narrowed down. It looks like it is seeping into the ply from the outside. It looks a right mess and absolutely stinks. There were no dead bees on the ground, but then again, I was there for about 5 mins and saw one bee go in, then come out again quickly. The only other activity were wasps, but they were on the ground as usual, not attempting access. My mentor said we'll have to see what's what when we open. I'm just hoping they haven't left the hive, but I'd rather they left than were poisoned. I reckon Paul will swap the hive for us if needed, but if he doesn't then I will probably take one of you up on the offer of another one. It will all have to be discussed tomorrow with the other two women after we get all the facts. I just wish action was being taken more quickly.

I have been pushing for a meeting to get all these loose ends tied up since the beginning of Sept, but they keep getting cancelled or rearranged. One of the other women is just as keen as me to get these things sorted out because there is issue after issue, all down to lack of communication. I really wish we had done the bee keeping training at the start of the project, then all these issues would have been dealt with along the way.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow. It's going to be one of those days. :boxing_smiley:

kaz
Why dont you get your own hive and bees then you are the only boss ie then only your fingers in the hive.

Happy birthday tomorrow Karen.
:cheers2:

Latest posts

Back